Which double boiler espresso machine to purchase? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
stefano65
Sponsor

#11: Post by stefano65 »

Dave why would you want a VBM 20A????
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Yeti

#12: Post by Yeti »

larger boilers, thus larger heating elements to keep up with increased size. Similar to what the Duetto runs.
I know it's not a big deal unless you are making numerous milk based drinks.

This comment was more for those who entertain a large 'milk drink' crowd, and that Joe Home-user won't have issues. :wink:

stefano65
Sponsor

#13: Post by stefano65 »

The vbm double boiler steam heating element is 1000w and the boiler size is 1.4
up to today with hundreds of units sold in the US we never had any complain of a lack of steam
but of course I sell them soo don't take my word for it :roll: :wink:
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

mhoy

#14: Post by mhoy »

I do love the look of the vbm double boiler systems.

Mark

GC7

#15: Post by GC7 »

I always read these type of threads with interest though I shouldn't because of the temptation of wanting what others have :(

That said the OP never did say how much use this new machine will get. I have no recommendations to make as these machines are not in my personal experience. I do believe, however, that the amount you might spend and in fact need to spend will be impacted on whether you make 2 espressos and a couple of lattes per day or if all your friends will be over daily and you might need to make half a dozen or more drinks in a short period. Only then might boiler size, pump type and plumbed vs pour over be critical.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new toys whatever they may turn out to be. You really can't go wrong from what I've read.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mgwolf »

A small comment. I own the Vivaldi Mini and it is a VERY strong steamer. Michael

Yeti

#17: Post by Yeti »

stefano65 wrote:The vbm double boiler steam heating element is 1000w and the boiler size is 1.4
up to today with hundreds of units sold in the US we never had any complain of a lack of steam
but of course I sell them soo don't take my word for it :roll: :wink:
Thanks for chiming in Stefano...wish you had your business up here in Canada, VBMS are tougher to come by up here.

gyro

#18: Post by gyro »

I'll chime in with the rest of the crowd... I like the do it once, do it right style.

1. Even if its a hassle, make the effort if at all possible and plumb in it.
2. Supersize the grinder with any of the above recommendations.

Good luck.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by uscfroadie »

mgwolf wrote:A small comment. I own the Vivaldi Mini and it is a VERY strong steamer. Michael
Would you mind posting a video of your Mini Vivaldi steaming 8 oz water with a thermometer installed so we can get an estimate on the time needed to bring 8 ounces from the measuring standard of 40 degrees to 140? From there we can compare it to a regular Vivaldi to see how the boiler size affects the performance.
Merle

Dodger1 (original poster)

#20: Post by Dodger1 (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:the OP never did say how much use this new machine will get. I have no recommendations to make as these machines are not in my personal experience. I do believe, however, that the amount you might spend and in fact need to spend will be impacted on whether you make 2 espressos and a couple of lattes per day or if all your friends will be over daily and you might need to make half a dozen or more drinks in a short period. Only then might boiler size, pump type and plumbed vs pour over be critical.
Very astute of you to bring that up. The majority of the time we'll be making a latte in the morning, ~ 4-6 espressos/americanos spread out during the day and a latte in the evening. The busiest I'll be is making a couple of lattes for ~ 4 friends, and ourselves; hence my thoughts on the machines.

Thanks to all for their advice so far. I've added the vbm double boiler to my list and also decided that the Jolly will be our new grinder.

Keith