Which Baratza Vario for a Crossland CC1?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Soybomb

#1: Post by Soybomb »

So I have a CC1 but its time to setup up my grinder game. It seems like the vario line is popular in the price range I'm looking at, but is the vario w with the plastic bin the better choice or the regular vario with the portafilter holder?

csepulv

#2: Post by csepulv »

I think the portafilter holder version will also come with the plastic cup. At least mine did. I would opt for that so you have a choice of what to use.

EDIT: I misread your question (missed "W" part): I like the portafilter version so I can grind directly into the portafilter. I use a separate scale for weighing. The W version works well for brewing, but for espresso I think it is better to grind directly into the portafilter.
Chris

Advertisement
Gig103

#3: Post by Gig103 »

Unless you change grinds often or go frequently between espresso and other brew methods, I would skip the W. When I change a grind setting (major, not tweaking), I grind 10 seconds into the chamber once, weigh it, and calculate the time needed for my desired dose. From there, I prefer to grind directly into the portafilter for convenience. The Vario is consistent.

Edit - to clarify, I have a CC1 so my experience hopefully is useful.