Where to buy a c-ripple tamper

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
fu11c17y

#1: Post by fu11c17y »

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 58mm c-ripple tamper, new or used. Anyone know where to get one? I have a problem looking for one available online.

To make the discussion more interesting, I"m sure this has been discussed before, but do you guys find any tamper shape better than a flat tamper? I was reading that the 2009 WBC champ was using the C-ripple.

Thanks in advance.

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

I'm pretty fickle when it comes to tampers. Right now I'm only using two (for Strada baskets), changing one for the other whimsically.

One is a "Brass Handle" C-Ripple from Coffee Complements, and the other is a shallow curve "Butterfly," apparently no longer sold by Clive. Both work fine.

Coffee Complements is also known as Precision Tamper Maker, its otherwise identical ebay storefront.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

fu11c17y (original poster)

#3: Post by fu11c17y (original poster) »

Thanks Rich. :D

Bob_McBob

#4: Post by Bob_McBob »

Why not Reg Barber?
Chris

damonbowe

#5: Post by damonbowe »

eBay.

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

fu11c17y wrote:Hi, I'm looking to buy a 58mm c-ripple tamper, new or used. Anyone know where to get one? I have a problem looking for one available online.

To make the discussion more interesting, I"m sure this has been discussed before, but do you guys find any tamper shape better than a flat tamper? I was reading that the 2009 WBC champ was using the C-ripple.
A barista would have a better chance winning the WBC wearing polkadotted socks. They will be more noticeable to the judges than the tamper they're using. :lol:

Anyway if you insist on one, check eBay--they are all over the place. If you want a particular size, concept-art has a very nice selection.

Some commentary on this...

I own every type of tamper base (with exception to the gourmet espresso tamper, which I would never buy). All the benefits touted are purely theoretical, but unfortunately none of which translate to anything significant in the cup, at least not in my experience. Every tamper I own is capable of producing a perfect extraction and none were particularly better or easier than any other (in terms of the base). The handle is really what makes most of the difference, as the increased ease of use does result in less errors, greater consistency and therefore switching could possibly improve your shots if you've had problems with another tamper. But using the exact same technique and handle, there really has been no in-cup difference that I could tell. The ripple does make a pretty pattern in the grind puck but it's only visual. The c-ripple, c-flat, euro convex and American convex bases, in theory seal the walls better, but it's a technical fallacy. What they do is produce a non-uniform distribution of grind across the basket, with more along the wall and less at the center. So indeed espresso will form a little closer further away from the edge middle of the bottom of the basket but this is simply because it takes more time to soak with the increased grind volume and has nothing to do with an improved seal. The key to getting the best seal is starting with right tamper base size. I've never had problems with the flat base using good technique. Bad technique is bad technique and no tamper is going to correct that for you.

Tamping is only a very small piece of the puzzle.. The bigger pieces are is in the grind itself--roast freshness, grind size, fines distribution, dose size all play a larger role than your tamp, in determining what you taste. At the end of the day, it's first and foremost, start with the best grounds, use great tasting water and you're 90% there (assuming you've got an adequate espresso machine/device).
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I think the c-ripple is Reg Barber's design. Seattle Coffee gear carries them, if they have them in stock.Otherwise you can order them from Reg Barber directly. I got one, I actually think it has improved my shots a little, although it could be that it is just a better tamper than my old lava tamper. Or my imagination. :lol: