What to upgrade to from Rancilio Silvia PID

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chucktownbean

#1: Post by chucktownbean »

I currently have an 8 year old Silvia with a custom PID. The old girl has served me well for many years but she's just getting worn out after 2-3 pulls a day for 8 years. Its time for a replacement/upgrade. Looking for suggestions on something in the $1k price range. I don't think I can get into a double boiler at that price range but HX seems doable.

We have an Alex Duetto at work that I love but thats way beyond my price range and besides I don't want to have to install water line or 220 electric in the kitchen.

I generally am about 50/50 on straight espresso vs milk steamed beverages. Maybe 2-3 days a week I'll kick off the day with a Cappuccino instead of an Americano or straight espresso. So I definitely want something with good steaming capability. Hence the leaning towards HX machine.

Whats my best bet? or at least a limited set to dig into.

RedMan

#2: Post by RedMan »

Hi Jeremy, I would recommend looking for a used machine in good condition if you can, because it will give you a lot more options and you can get much more quality for the same money (with a little thorough searching and patience). A brand new pump-machine for $1k might not give you much more than your silvia can't already, besides better steaming capabilities probably.

If you search the buying advice section or scan through the pages, there are many threads where people ask
advice on machines in the 1k - 2k range, hx vs. double boilers etc.

And if you're looking for better tasting espresso, many people here would probably also advice to rather spend on a better grinder instead of a new machine. I spent $1k on a grinder last winter (hg-1) instead of a new machine, based mostly on advice I read on these forums. Previously used a baratza vario for espresso with my silvia w/pid. And even though it isn't a great espresso making machine, improvement was 'loud' and clear. Later went on to also buy another machine, a used Olympia Cremina, which has been very fun to use and try to master.

Speaking of which, if you're inclined to try something very different and since you're making 'only' 2-3 shots a day, how about a manual lever machine like a Pavoni, Ponte Vecchio Lusso or Olympia Cremina? Less convenient to use than pump machines of course, temperature management can be a challenge, less consistency between shots etc. but with practice they can make very good espresso rivaling high end equipment. Smallest Pavoni and Lusso can apparently be had brand new for around $800. Bet they can be found used for half that, especially pavonis as they've been around for many years. A Cremina in good condition could be difficult to find at your budget.

Good luck with your search.

artcien

#3: Post by artcien »

The Simonelli Oscar is there. HX, about $1k, nice machine specially when consider the price.

If you can push it to about 1.5K then you can get a QM Anita to shine with more S/S than Silvia.

UFGators

#4: Post by UFGators »

1k is a tough price range for a new machine.. Most of the machines are either less than 1k like you silvia or more than 1k in the 1300-2000 price range. You might want to look at used machines as was said- you will get more for your money. Do you want a plumbed in or must your machine have a tank? Thank will determine a lot. I agree that a grinder upgrade will make the biggest difference. Let me know if I can be of any help- I have had a silvia, Spaziale, Elektra t1, Strega and now have settled in the meantime on a Bosco lever machine.

chucktownbean (original poster)

#5: Post by chucktownbean (original poster) »

Thanks all, good advice. Maybe I'll push it off for a bit until I can justify a plumbed in $1.5K machine. ( ... sigh)

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

The Alex Duetto can be run reservoir or line at the flick of a switch; and runs just fine off US household current 115V/15A.

Two things about those two things. First, if you can raise the money for the machine you can run it in your kitchen. Second, you don't know as much about home espresso as you think you know.

Some other things to consider:
  • The NS Oscar, bought new, is a horrible choice. It's a dragon with an antiquated design which -- yes can be civilized with a few hours and a hundred plus bucks worth of parts -- but why bother? If you're going to buy an Oscar and mod it, buy used; and
  • When and if you upgrade your machine, you'll undoubtedly need to upgrade your grinder.
In fact, once you're talking about espresso machines beyond a certain competence threshold, you'll get a great deal more bang for the buck from upgrading the grinder than the machine. That raises the question as to whether a PID Silvia clears the threshold; and the answer is "maybe, maybe not." In any case, it's certainly inadequate if good steaming is a prerequisite.

So, what works?
I like the Crossland CC1 + Baratza Vario combination for $1000, for the least expensive step into consistently controllable and good espresso. The only reservation I have in terms of recommending it to you is whether your milk needs will exceed its capacity. As a shot puller, it jumps the magic hurdle; and as a steamer it's good for the occasional cappuccino you describe, but it isn't really up to more. God knows how long it would take to make lattes for your wife and three of her foam loving friends.

The best bang for the buck HXs are the Bezzera BZ 10, Expobar Office Lever, Faema Carisma, and Quick Mill Anita. While they are all pretty good machines, I can't recommend any of them because they're too narrow to be really comfortable for me. It's kind of disappointing personally, because I'm a confirmed HX guy.

The Breville Dual Boiler 920XL is in a class by itself for ergonomics and ease of use, is an outstanding machine for "in the cup quality," but you might find its construction a bit plasticky. For the nothing it's worth, it would be my choice if I were buying a new machine under $1600.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER
Consider the Baratza Vario -- $375 for a refurb -- the rock bottom minimum to pair with a good espresso machine
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM »

For about $1k you do have quite a selection of good, used HX machines available to you. Machines that typically sold new for $1200-1500 range. They might be in need of cleanup or seals, but there are many options out there.

If you find something that looks promising lookup in the search function for anything you can find here or CG about that model and you'll probably have more than enough info to make your head swim. After a bit of study if you need more specific opinion then ask the forum and many people will help if they can.
Also be aware that any review over 3-4 years old is quite dated, as the home espresso market has been changing quite a bit here in the USA.

NS Oscar: I had one, purchased in need of repair, used it stock, loved the machine once I understood it, but it's a sideways move from a Silvia. You trade off some Silvia quirks for Oscar quirks. An NS Oscar is not worth the $1000 new price in my opinion. At used prices, under $500, I do think they make a good intro machine though, but mine was an older one and didn't seem to suffer from overheating / dragon machine issues.
LMWDP #445

takeshi

#8: Post by takeshi »

boar_d_laze wrote:When and if you upgrade your machine, you'll undoubtedly need to upgrade your grinder.
Yeah that Rocky will have to go so that should be factored into the budget as well. There was a significant improvement for me when I upgraded from the Rocky to the Super Jolly back when I had my Silvia.