What do you think of the Compak K3 Touch?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
plexus

#1: Post by plexus »

I have a Baratza Maestro Plus currently and I believe its the weak link in my new espresso "chain", as it were. Looking for a better grinder but I dont want to spend a ton of money. What do you think of the Compak K3 Touch? It has 58mm flat burrs (like the mazzer mini), slow grinding (1100rpm vs 1600 for the mazzer mini) and stepless grind setting. I dont need a doser. The one-touch 1 or 2 cup mode is great for me. Let me know what you think in comparison say to the mazzer mini. If you make a comparison it would be great to get really objective quantifiable input. I only say this because the mazzer has a bigger following and that doesnt matter at all to me. Im more interested in knowing how the grind quality compares to the mazzer.

plexus (original poster)

#2: Post by plexus (original poster) »

This answers my own question:

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/

but if you have anything else to add...

Advertisement
espressoed

#3: Post by espressoed »

Very informative piece, Brett. Thanks for sharing the link. It was nice to be able to read such an extensive comparison. A K3 has been on my wish list for a while now.
All the coffee in Ethiopia won't make me a morning person.

Spironski

#4: Post by Spironski »

Where I live, the K3 costs €320,- and the Mini €470,-. So although the Mazzer build seems to be better, the price difference simply is too big to recommend the Mazzer over the K3. And on our coffee forum, people are very content with their K3's.

plexus (original poster)

#5: Post by plexus (original poster) »

I got my Compak K3 Touch today. I took the grind group apart to check it out. I think its been updated since that review (first post) because there is now an adjustment scale on the top rotating piece. there is a little play in the mechanism but i dont see what the big deal is. its very small and doesnt negatively affect my ability to dial in a small adjustment to the set grind. in terms of build quality its very well built and compares to be the same if maybe a little better than the mazzer. mind you i do not have the doser version.

so far so good. i will post a review and some pictures soon.

plexus (original poster)

#6: Post by plexus (original poster) »

On the issue of the play in the grind adjustment: the reason for the play is because the slots cut in the chassis are a little wider than the tangs on the upper burr assembly. the slots are guides for the upper assembly which slides vertically in the slots.

a quick fix: i took some clear plastic from a package for a consumer product. that kind of thick plastic that things are often packaged in that you have to cut the sides to open the product because they are usually heat sealed. i cut some rectangular strips that were the same length as the slots and bent them to fit inside the slot. i trimmed away the excess plastic so that they sat a little inside of the slot so they wouldnt get in the way of the threads. basically shims in the slot to take up the free space.

it works! (for now)

there is now no play in the adjustment disc!

plexus (original poster)

#7: Post by plexus (original poster) »

Advertisement
GC7

#8: Post by GC7 »

Brett

Good luck with the K3 touch. Mine has been working nicely since last September. The adjustment calibration is there on mine but I found it difficult to use and too far between markings. Here is a quick fix

I have not checked my burrs or cleaned in there except for periodic minute rice runs. You may have provided me with the courage to take it apart.

plexus (original poster)

#9: Post by plexus (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:Brett

Good luck with the K3 touch. Mine has been working nicely since last September. The adjustment calibration is there on mine but I found it difficult to use and too far between markings. Here is a quick fix
so is that just your "espresso range" marked out?
GC7 wrote:I have not checked my burrs or cleaned in there except for periodic minute rice runs. You may have provided me with the courage to take it apart.
its really easy. you just remove the 3 machines screws and twirl the top assembly out. thats it! i like the fact they used hex machine screws as they are the strongest and provide the best ability to tighten. you just have to get the right allen key and keep it around.

GC7

#10: Post by GC7 »

Brett

My espresso range is always between my 20-25 with a decafe bean perhaps getting to 26-27. It all depends on the bean and the dose used.

Thanks for the tip on how easy it is to remove the top. I have jsut about every allen key size possible metric and US so I should be good to go.