What do I replace my starbucks barista with?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jetstrip19

#1: Post by Jetstrip19 »

I had purchased a starbucks barista machine for my father many years ago after buying a very pricey machine for him he fell in love with the barista. We'll after years of nightly use the little engine that could finally broke down. I would like to replace it for him but unfortunately as you probably know saeco discontinued the barista. Does anyone have a recommendation of a machine similar to the barista as he is a creature of habit. I have called saeco and starbucks and the closest thing they said was the saeco aroma espresso machine which did not get very good reviews on the starbucks site(not that a few bad reviews is a deal breaker). I'm just looking for something comparable in price and taste so any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

If he really likes them, they're easily available used, since everyone thinks you need to spend 10X that much to make great espresso:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=estro%20v ... 7326218860

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Jetstrip19 (original poster)

#3: Post by Jetstrip19 (original poster) »

I looked I know he won't be happy with a used machine so picky lol

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

But HIS is now a used machine! Most of us here have bought used machines and done well. In fact, all of my espresso machines were bought used.
Scott
LMWDP #248

EricBNC

#5: Post by EricBNC »

Check out Seattle Coffee Gear and look for the Saeco Via Venezia - it is the Barista Starbucks used to sell:

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco- ... so-machine
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

beer&mathematics

#6: Post by beer&mathematics »

I wouldn't buy a Via Venezia--I had one and it is not worth the money. Get a Gaggia classic instead (which has adjustable OPV)
LMWDP #431

EricBNC

#7: Post by EricBNC replying to beer&mathematics »

So now the machine her Dad fell in love with and used nightly won't make him happy? I don't think that will happen...
LMWDP #378

homeburrero
Team HB

#8: Post by homeburrero »

I agree with Eric that despite other machines being what we might think are better, the fact that her dad was very happy with that Starbucks Barista machine means that the Via Venezia is probably the way to go. Is inexpensive and functionally equivalent (as is the Aroma) except in one respect - the steam wand.

The Via Venezia has a 'panarello' wand that introduces air. Requires no technique but you always get very sudsy foam, which some like. If you want microfoam you have to modify it. I did a quick search and found a post that claims you can put the old Barista wand on the new Via Venezia (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equip ... -wand.html) so if the OP still has the remains of the old machine around that might be an option.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

beer&mathematics

#9: Post by beer&mathematics »

The main problem with the VV is that it is set at 15bars so it can use pods. And it can't be easily adjusted--that's why I'd recommend gaggia classic which can adjust the pressure. Of course, if the Op just wants to buy what they know then that's cool too
LMWDP #431

EricBNC

#10: Post by EricBNC »

These machines use a spring and ball valve to seal the boiler so the water doesn't run out of the shower head. Some of that pump pressure is used to compress the spring when pulling a a shot - it is a mechanical flow restrictor the pump must overcome before any of the extra pressure can send boiler water to the coffee.
LMWDP #378