Wega 6.8 or Compak K10 Pro-Barista?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
WSH

#1: Post by WSH »

From other threads and what I can dig up on other websites, it appears the only real meaningful difference is the Doser, with the Pro-Barista's being more desireable, and it's doser cover. Everything else seems to be the same, or very nearly so.

I intend to use it as a single dose machine or more likely, grinding several doses all at once into one container. And then load/dose them by weight into the portafilter.

If money was no object, and there seems to be only about a $225 difference, which one would you choose and why?

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

Back in the summer of 2011 there was a thread in green coffee buying club about a great deal a guy got on the Wega. I understood at the time that the Wega is made by Compak and is in fact the same machine as the K10. My opportunity to get the Wega fell through and I ended up finding a deal on ebay for a K10. But I saw no reason then nor do I now to pay an extra 225 for the Compak name plate. I will say though that an ability to easily remove the doser cover is pretty essential to single dosing. I'm just not sure what the issue is with the Wega doser.

galumay

#3: Post by galumay »

I have both a Wega 6.8 and a K10, the dosers are identical and need modding for single dosing, as do most big commercial grinders. The doser cover is smaller on the K10 and i slightly prefer the K10 for that reason. Having said that I wouldnt pay $225 extra for the slightly smaller lid.

I bought my Wega brand new and the K10 I picked up very cheap on fleabay.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

WSH (original poster)

#4: Post by WSH (original poster) »

I think the Wega 6.8 is identical to the K10 Conic, not the Pro Barista model. The difference being a higher grade, more streamlined, user friendly doser on the Pro Barista, without a built in Tamper. And possibly a different lid/cover design, among other things. And therein lies the rub, the different cover and other things.

So it's a slightly Apples to Pineappples comparison between the Wega and Pro Barista models and not simply just the cosmetic difference between the Wega and K10 Conic.

K10 Conic
http://www.compak.es/en/productos/020102.htm

K10 Pro Barista
http://www.compak.es/en/productos/020103.htm

galumay

#5: Post by galumay »

In that case I have the K10 Pro-Barista! - it has the alloy PF fork, no built in tamper and the smaller lid. The doser is no different despite the claims on that website you linked to. So basically my comments stand as per my previous post.

da gino

#6: Post by da gino »

I thought I remembered that back when that great deal was available all the Wega 6.8's had an automatic doser that would have to be disabled, not a big deal, but I'd rather not mess with wiring if I didn't have to (and probably disabling that is more trivial than I think).

Going back to the OP, given the "cost is no object" comment then $225 is not a reason to make a choice and perhaps there is some value in getting something that isn't rebadged. That said, I think the differences are probably minimal enough that if I had to pick I'd give serious consideration to saving $225 if it was not an automatic doser and if beyond that, as I expect, there were minimal functional differences and none in the cup (ie if I ignored to cost is no object dictate).

One vendor I've talked to who works with Wega speaks highly of them with respect to the company and the products so you'll probably be in good hands either way.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

All the photos of the Wega 6.8 I can find look exactly like the K10 Conic with the built in tamper. If it is the same I'd spend the extra $$ for the Pro Barista as the P/B doser is slick. If you call the vendor & ask for their best price you may be able to cut that $225 price difference by 35%-50%.
LMWDP 267

galumay

#8: Post by galumay »

John, I have pulled both dosers apart on mine and they are identical. The only difference on my Wega is that is has the built in tamper, I can see no reason to spend a couple of hundred dollars just to avoid the built in tamper.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

From what I've pulled up the differences are no tamper/auto switch/counter & a smaller easily removed doser cover on the P/B so the inner doser is basically the same as you said.

This post from last year provides some useful info:
What's the difference between Compak K10 and K10 Pro Barista model

I still prefer the K10 P/B & wouldn't make a decision without calling CCS & other vendors to see what their best price would be. I think that the price difference could be reduced significantly unless you can find a discounted Wega 6.8.
LMWDP 267

galumay

#10: Post by galumay »

Its interesting John, I have seen a couple of times the comment that the WBC model doesnt have the microswitch and flap, but mine certainly does! I have also seen that the Wega has an inferior switch - my Wega and K10 WBC have identical power switches.

The biggest difference may actually be the speed which is about half that of the K10 Conic.

Just to re-iterate, the only differences between the Wega and K10 WBC that I own are,

* Smaller doser lid
* No in built tamper on K10
* 340rpm v 870rpm