Value added beginner espresso machine, budget below $500 - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
EspressoForge
Sponsor

#21: Post by EspressoForge »

I feel like the hardest part here is still the $500 budget. At this level, not much IMO will make amazing espresso everyday easily for a beginner. Just about every machine will have major limitations (including the Twist which I did own and use for a while, but like mentioned I got rid of it because as a daily device it just wasn't there). Especially if you're looking new.

Having said that, you can pick up a ROK Presso on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ROK-Presso-Manual ... B00AV1E0GI

It has some hot milk making toy with it...and reported that it works well. I know the old Pressos had problems with the wishbone arms breaking under high stress, supposedly ROK updated the design and materials a bit...but still has a plastic chamber above the cylinder/piston for holding the hot water.

Overall, for the intended purpose of this thread (big value, low cost, beginner machine) I think I'll still stick with the Peppina/Caravel as my pick.

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

drgary wrote:Jack, didn't you suggest to me offline using paper filters between the shower screen and the coffee cake? What's your routine? You may have a point if there's some technique I can use without inserting a paper filter, but I have to review these machines in stock configuration.
Jack and I followed up offline and it turns out he was discussing use of paper filters under the coffee bed in the Export. I misunderstood him and applied those filters on top, and it seems to stop coffee backwash in my review machine. Odd how these things occur. It shows how we can misunderstand each other in a discussion of typed words without the back and forth of live conversation. It also demonstrates that when comparing different machines or even different units of the same version they might function differently for a variety of reasons.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
EspressoForge
Sponsor

#23: Post by EspressoForge »

drgary wrote:the coffee bed in the Export. I misunderstood him and applied those filters on top, and it seems to stop coffee backwash in my review machine. Odd how these things occur. It shows how we can misunderstand each other in a discussion of typed words without the back and forth of live conversation. It also demonstrates that when comparing different machines or even different units of the same version they might function differently for a variety of reasons.
Funny, I've never even thought to try a paper filter in a basket, top or bottom....I guess I never had the need, but even still I imagined the pressure would tear through it if even just a small hole. I'll keep it in mind in case a friend has some problem with a basket or shower screen, it seems like a good trick as a temporary fix until a replacement part would come.

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

There are posts awhile back about using the paper filter underneath the coffee to reduce components that might adversely impact cholesterol. Search coffee and cholesterol on this site and you'll see many posts. The paper holds together quite well bottom or top and brew water easily passes through them. Okay, back on topic.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

As a follow-up on how to prevent coffee backwash into the boiler of a PV Export, I checked with the distributor, and this will be included in my review. To pull a larger shot, fully load the basket and allow a long pre-infusion. That pre-infusion will add volume to the shot, then pull a shot after cocking the lever. Re-cocking is likely to cause the backwash. Using a paper filter on top of the basket seems to prevent it, at least on the current machine I'm using. This apparently differs from Jack's experience of his older machine but it does not indicate malfunction of the current one.

Added: I also want to be mindful that Italians generally drink smaller shots and milk drinks than we Americans who supersize.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Newbrew (original poster)

#26: Post by Newbrew (original poster) »

Thank you all for your good advise. Until this thread I didn't even know about the lever machines, which seem appealing to me, but seem way above my skill level. The new digital one's are also appealing for different reasons.

It appears the diverse options available will require further time to research and analyze on my part. I need time to improve my skills and knowledge in order to make a good decision that I won't regret, and by then I will have a larger budget.

Since I have not found a simple solution to my dilemma at this time, I have decided to get the Gaggia Classic for now, to learn on, and hopefully get a good, but not great, shot of coffee until I decide what machine to get for the long term. I'm also going to be keeping an out for one of those lever machines, just in case I run across an irresistible deal.