Used Pasquini Moka Espresso worth $250?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
arcitek

#1: Post by arcitek »

Hello All. I am on the brink of making a grinder purchase and just wanted to know if the grinder is worth the money. It is a Pasquini Moka Espresso and I would need to pay 250 dollars for it used. I am thinking it has a few years on it in a home setting. I'll be honest, I never thought I would spend more than 100 dollars on a grinder until I got into espresso. Now I am learning that just is not possible if I want to constantly enjoy the espresso that I so much like to drink.

Any help would be appreciated.

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

They go for ~$600 new, so its dependent on condition really. I would want a more common grinder for resale purposes later on though.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
arcitek (original poster)

#3: Post by arcitek (original poster) »

I think the current owner had it for a year. The previous owner may have had it for 1 or two years as well. They just replace the burrs with brand new burrs. I did some research but it seems i can pick up a new unit for just a bit over 500 dollars. The parts seem to be decently available. As for resale, I am not sure that is going to be an issue with me only because I can't really get into a more expensive grinder and I'm into espresso in a bad way to stopping my "habit" is not really going to happen. I was looking at 200 dollar grinders before considering this one.

I just thought for 50 dollars more, albeit used, I could get into a better grinder but maybe I am wrong. I just want to be able to grind good espresso. I do not really do volume or drip. Just espresso.

Thanks for the thought though.

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

arcitek wrote:I just want to be able to grind good espresso
How good?
LMWDP #366

#5: Post by arcitek (original poster) »

How good? That is a funny question to ask on a forum like this. Let's put it this way. Better than what I have had from my surrounding coffee shops for the most part. I just don't feel that many take the preparation of the shot seriously enough even though they have equipment i could never afford. What do I know though, I am a real amateur at this.

Actually, I take my earlier sentiment back, somewhat. There is one shop that does a decent job. Not too bitter, real smooth and beautiful crema.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

A great deal on a grinder like that is finding a clean, fully functioning one at the Goodwill Store or a garage sell for $15. I'm sorry to say, but IMO, $250 is no bargain at all. One I wouldn't hesitate to pass up.

But there's such a high subjectivity to this sort of thing. If you're in love with its compact size or if the spousal approval factor weighs high, then that certainly alters your perception and choices.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

sonnyhad

#7: Post by sonnyhad »

I guess what they are saying is, you can do a lot better for the money. You might want to hold fast and see how the new Lido2 reviews. Its a hand grinder, but if you really want good for that price stay tuned!
LMWDP 437

Advertisement

#8: Post by arcitek (original poster) »

I declined. Thank you for all of the help.