Used Olympia Cremina?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RonnyG

#1: Post by RonnyG »

I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction regarding a used Cremina. After reading a lot of the reviews the Cremina seems to be an awesome home machine once you figure out how to use it. I have been thinking about buying a used one as I can't justify forking out $3,600 for a new one. From what I can tell these machines are built very well and really have not changed a whole lot over the years. I have seen used ones posted and sold on Ebay for $400-$600. Is there anything I should be concerned with buying a used Cremina? Is there a time period I should avoid or years that people recommend I look at getting? What sort of maintenance should I count on doing buying used? Pretty much any advice you all have regarding the purchase of a used machine would be awesome!!!

Thanks

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

The best information about rebuilding and servicing vintage Creminas is on the Orphan Espresso site, under Tech Help Pages. If you watch those videos and read their other postings on Cremina repairs you'll know how to evaluate a used one. Also it is likely to cost you more than you quoted to buy a used one in good condition. See the Sold listings on eBay for what to expect.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

RonnyG (original poster)

#3: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

Thanks Gary, I will get to reading the website you provided. It looks like it is more reasonable to assume paying 800 for a cremina in good shape. Still seems like a good way to go.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

:lol: :lol: :lol: $800 for a Cremina. Good one. more like $1800 to $2200
Dave Stephens

RonnyG (original poster)

#5: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

Yeah I guess I am assuming on taking on some of the refurb work to hopefully help cut cost.

rittem1

#6: Post by rittem1 »

cannonfodder wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: $800 for a Cremina. Good one. more like $1800 to $2200
Not sure where you were looking but on eBay there have been many sold between $750-1000 over the last couple months in good (subjective) condition. $1800-$2200 for a used late model?
LMWDP #517

RonnyG (original poster)

#7: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

Are the late models better for some reason demanding the higher price or are they just sought after given their vintageness (if that is a word :) )

forbeskm

#8: Post by forbeskm »

There was one just listed for 400 on ebay. Two didn't sell you might be able to contact the sellers, 950 and 1000 for those starting bids. One just sold for 795. Orphan Espresso can walk you through a rebuild, its very straight forward and does not require any special tools other than a wrench set and some allen keys.

Search ebay on completed listings. Been quite a few as of late that didn't sell

I like my 83 but I don't think it matters much which year. I am not sure which year it went to a bigger boiler, mid 90's?

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by cpreston »

RonnyG wrote:Are the late models better for some reason demanding the higher price or are they just sought after given their vintageness (if that is a word :) )
They have pressure gauges which I like to use in conjunction with a group head thermometer to get very repeatable shot temps. There are threads on this from a few years back. They also have vacuum breakers but those are in the cap and presumably retrofittable. (Not sure how long those have been included.) But you do pay a lot more.

I'm another very happy cremina user.

RonnyG (original poster)

#10: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

forbeskm, thanks a lot I did not think to look on the completed list on eBay. I saw that 400 one pop up, I have my eye on it but its 6days out still. It looks like it will need some work due to the leaks but I feel I am up for the task if the price is right. thanks again!