Used Bunn G1 or new Baratza Virtuoso grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mochamaker

#1: Post by Mochamaker »

I have the opportunity to pick up a used (not sure how used, burrs are said to be in good shape) Bunn G1 from a local roaster for cheap. I may even get to help out around to roaster to pay some of it off. Or should I put my money towards a Baratza Virtuoso? This will be my pour over grinder only. I already have a SJ and a Rocky that I use for espresso. (long story behind why I have both)

Thanks,

Dan

WSH

#2: Post by WSH replying to Mochamaker »

If space is not a problem, get the Bunn G1, there's no comparison. It's life altering! :D

Then swapping out the stock burrs for the Ditting 804 machined burrs puts it in another galaxy.

Search the archives for "BunnZilla".

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

WSH wrote:If space is not a problem, get the Bunn G1, there's no comparison. It's life altering! :D Then swapping out with stock burrs for the Ditting 804 machined burrs puts it in another galaxy. Search the archives for "BunnZilla".
+1!!!

Depending on the age of the used Bunn in question, it may have the old 9 position detent plate. If so, you'll want to replace it with the new "Trifecta" style 30 position detent.

FYI, Ditting 803/804 machined burrs (only way they come now, so don't worry about getting the wrong ones) go for something like $320 and fitting them into the Bunn requires about $70 worth of machine shop work.

The Ditting burrs require substantial break-in before they're at their best. You don't have to use instant rice as with espresso burrs, Ditting burrs laugh at raw rice. They laugh, "Ha!" I tell you. 20lbs every other week. They're still improving... and laughing.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

2StrokeBloke

#4: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Does anyone have a picture or drawing with dimensions of the piece requiring machining for the Ditting burr in Bunn machine?

This would be very helpful to anyone considering making this move.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. replying to 2StrokeBloke »

It's a simple matter of comparing the original Bunn burr & the Ditting "Top" replacement. Give both to your machinist & tell him you need a spacer machined & installed on the Ditting burr so that the OD matches the Bunn burr.
LMWDP 267

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

I have a different Bunn bulk grinder, has a step-less adjustment, but it makes a huge difference for press or drip, or anything other then espresso and I am running it with stock (new) burrs.
Dave Stephens

Mochamaker (original poster)

#7: Post by Mochamaker (original poster) »

Thanks all. It is pretty much a no brainer. Now I am just playing the waiting game for the Bunn to come around. I would love to buy the Baratza just to get me through till the Bunn comes along. I am doing more pour overs and getting tired of dealing with all the fines I am getting from my SJ or when I use my Rocky for it. Neither are good for pour overs.

Mochamaker (original poster)

#8: Post by Mochamaker (original poster) »

Well the G1 didn't come through... but a G3 did. I have no room for it in my kitchen, so am keeping it in the garage for now. I am going to cut the cabinet down to size sometime, or build a new one out of wood and transfer everything over. It needs new burrs, they are 5 years old and pretty worn, but they do ok for now.
thanks for all the replies.