Upgrading from the Starbucks Barista with $350 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

My Starbucks (Saeco) machine died. https://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/cons ... ks_barista
Pump no longer pumps. Had it for years and served me well.
One of the things I liked about this machine was that it is very heavy.
I liked the fact that when I put on the portafilter that the whole machine did not move around.

I am looking for opinions of what my next machine should be. I do not wish to buy used at this time.
My budget is about $350.00 for the machine (Not looking for a grinder or an espresso machine with grinder)

I am looking for a machine that would be considered an upgrade from this one I have in the terms of quality of shot, quality of pump and parts, and dryness of puck upon completion of draw. The Starbucks consistently had a muddy messy puck no matter what grind I ground to.

I am interested in seeing your opinions!

thanks so much!

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

A gaggia classic or lelit machine is what you are looking at. However other than addressing your puck dryness problem with the three way solenoid valve it won't be an upgrade in the cup.

You should look through the FAQ section tho.

BKSinAZ (original poster)

#3: Post by BKSinAZ (original poster) »

Intrepid... I am confused with the second half of your answer pertaining to puck and three way valve. Could you explain what your attempting to convey?

UltramaticOrange

#4: Post by UltramaticOrange »

The folks at Whole Latte Love talk a little about the three way solenoid valve in the overview of the Gaggia Classic. As always, shop around, but as luck would have it, they happen to be selling it for $350 (before shipping free shipping on orders over $50).
Basically, the three way solenoid prevents water and coffee grounds from flowing back into the machine when you end your shot. It also diverts water away from the filter basket, resulting in a dryer puck.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

uyeasound

#5: Post by uyeasound »

I went from a gaggia classic to a pavoni lever because I didn't like the idea of having to buy yet another item with a limited lifespan. I also like the greater element of control you get, but it's not for all....

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

I'm always amazed at the quality of the espresso that comes out of my $170 mypressi! Although not as convenient as a traditional espresso machine with a steam wand...with the addition of a stove top steamer you'll get better espresso than any new $350 espresso maker that I'm aware of...and have a little savings leftover. I noticed mypressi is offering refurbished units for $110.
No Espresso = Depresso

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by pizzaman383 »

I recommend that you buy a refurbished Baratza Vario or other very decent grinder. I upgraded my espresso machine first but after it broke down I used my Starbucks Barista espresso machine and new grinder and was amazed at how good the espresso was.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”