Upgrading espresso machine to doubler boiler, budget up to $2500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mtnjess

#1: Post by mtnjess »

A few months ago, I posted on here for the first time about upgrading my grinder. I took the plunge and went from a Rocky to a Mahlkonig K30 vario and I love it!! I have been planning on upgrading my set up for a long time now, and naturally started with the grinder. Now, that I have done that, I'm ready to go for a nicer machine. My poor Silvia has really had the miles on her and I really think it's time.

Unlike that grinder decision, I am honestly struggling with where to even start with a new espresso machine!

What I am looking for in a machine:

My budget is in the 2 - 2,500 range.

Double boiler. I am pulling 2 doubles every morning before work. In the winter, I especially enjoy stemmed milk drinks. In my house, mornings are always hectic - I am always rushing out the door, so I want to be able to pull shots fast and consistent. I am getting tired of the wait time for heating and temperature surfing with my Silvia. I don't think a Hx would make me happy. Although I have no experience with one, from what I hear, the time and effort it sounds like it would take to get consistent shots would drive (both) me (and my hubby) crazy... I'll spare you the details on my OCD-scientific- treat my kitchen like it's a chemistry experiment - ways I have... :roll:

Plumbing in capabilities. I won't be plumbing in right away but, I would like the option and plan to eventually do it.

Better coffee quality. More consistency. Faster shots and microfoam! Am I asking for too much? Am I being unrealistic :lol:

I'm just looking for some general suggestions at machines to be looking at in my price range. I know in an ideal world I would have done more of my homework and have a prelim list first and then ask for suggestions, but when I said I am having trouble finding a good place to start, I really am! Just seems like there are too many options out there.
TIA!!

spearfish25

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

I was in the same boat. Silvia was too slow and I needed convenience. I went for the Profitec Pro 700 to avoid flushing a HX machine and to be able to plumb and drain it. The fast steaming, plumbed, drained setup is awesome. You don't understand how nice it is to not fill a reservoir or empty a drip tray until you've experienced a plumbed and drained machine first hand. I too have a K30 and they're a great pair. Some vendors offer 10% off one item if you sign up for their email list which is how I got both my Profitec and my grinder (separate vendors). With the discount it should be in your price range.

mtnjess (original poster)

#3: Post by mtnjess (original poster) »

I have looked at the Profitec Pro 700. Although pricey and on the upper end of my budget, it's on my list. It looks awesome.

I am also looking at the Rocket R58 and the Izzo Alex Duetto.

It looks like all of the double boilers by La Spaziale are plumbed in. While I do plan to plumb in, I would like the option of the reservoir and do not plan to plumb in right away. (Waiting until I redo my kitchen next year.)

Also, any opinions on Breville DB? It does cost quite a bit less. How does it measure up?

Sideshow

#4: Post by Sideshow »

I'm quite new here (this is my very first post actually), but I have been lurking for sometime. I just joined the whole community of baristas here, so I'm still on the very steep portion of the learning curve. Nevertheless, I got my first machine, a Quick Mill Vetrano 2b Evo, and I am extremely happy with it. As a COMPLETE newbie, I was able to pull enjoyable shots after about only 5 "disasters" with my bottomless portafilter. To me, that only hints at what I'll be able to do in the future. I'm very happy with my purchase and recommend it highly for what it's worth. It also easily satisfies all the criteria you listed.

#5: Post by mtnjess (original poster) »

Well, looks like I was wrong about La Spaziales.. there are ones with reservoirs! I know very little about them, obviously. :oops:

jfrescki

#6: Post by jfrescki »

La Spaziale is either plumb or tank, not both. They're probably the best bang for your prosumer/light commercial double boiler buck, but many don't want to be limited by the group size in dose or basket options.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

SAB

#7: Post by SAB »

The BDB is a great machine for the money, but it's not plumbable.

#8: Post by mtnjess (original poster) »

jfrescki wrote:La Spaziale is either plumb or tank, not both. They're probably the best bang for your prosumer/light commercial double boiler buck, but many don't want to be limited by the group size in dose or basket options.
Marking La Spaziale off the list.
SAB wrote:The BDB is a great machine for the money, but it's not plumbable.
Marking BDB off the list, too.

Thanks for the feedback!!

So, my running list so far of what it's looking like, after my time spent on research today (in no particular order):

Profitec 700
Izzo Alex Duetto
Rocket R58
Quickmill M58 Lucca
Quickmill Vetrano 2B Evo

I just watched a video on Clive coffee about the M58 Lucca and I love the levers! Anyone with any experience on this machine and how it measures up? It is a little more than my budget... but may be worth it...? Looking at all of these, they all seem to be pretty similar. All E61 machines. I know any of these, compared to my single boiler will be wonderful. But, I still need to do quite a bit narrowing it down and make a decision! I know ultimately, I just have to make a choice and go with it, but once it's done, it's done!

Also, I will add, one of the reasons this is hard for me, is that I have to make decisions based on reading and watching videos on the internet. I live in RURAL Kentucky and won't be going to any major cities where there are any stores in which I can actually see these machines . I know to some of you, this may sound crazy, but if I wait until I can physically see any of these machines in person, I will be waiting a long time before I will be purchasing one :(

spearfish25

#9: Post by spearfish25 »

Honestly take the Rocket R58 off. The PID design is ridiculous.

Sideshow

#10: Post by Sideshow »

Also, from what I've read, the M58 is the Vetrano 2b internals with fancier (and not by much) outsides. Fancy levers (which are available on the Vetrano too for a $100 "upgrade") and an odd looking PID aren't worth several extra hundred dollars more to me. I'd take it off too.