Upgrade time! Compak K3, Macap M4, or Mazzer Mini (or other?)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bm_cricket

#1: Post by bm_cricket »

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the Grinders forum and reading past reviews of these grinders. It seems like people have a lot to say, a lot of opinions, and not many conclusions. I'm looking for a grinder for my home that will mostly be used for decaf. We already have a pretty high volume if somewhat clunky dosed grinder for our high octane beans. We bring our big commercial machine to Burning Man each year where we give away a bunch of great espresso. I'm looking for a second grinder so we can enjoy coffee all day long!

Okay, so long story short, what grinder gives the best features in the $600-$1,000 price range? It should be a doserless grinder and low volume (1g/s) is totally fine. Like I said, it's going to be used for decaf so fine tuning it is key. Has anyone done a particle size distribution comparison between grinders in this price range? How well do they work? I've seen a few video reviews of these grinders and the macap m4 has a weird grind setting dial but seems pretty well built. How about clumping. Some reviews say that the macap doserless shoot clogs. What is your experience?

And because people always love pictures, here is my machine and a little glimpse of what it looks like outside. This photo is from San Francisco Decompression, a Burning Man street fair where we gave away 15 pounds of light roast Ethiopian beans in the form of straight espresso. Helping to spread the espresso love! (Don't worry about the barista with the monster grip. Believe it or not he wasn't tamping all that hard!)

Life is short, enjoy every sip.