Upgrade options from Baratza Preciso?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dkny3939

#1: Post by dkny3939 »

I like my Preciso but am starting to think about upgrades. Preciso is great for both press pot and espresso, but it's too annoying adjusting between the two. I may get another grinder for espresso and use Preciso only for french press.

I don't have a set budget, but don't want to get something that's overkill, too big to fit on my counter or something that's intended mostly for commercial use (they tend to retain too much coffee ground). My Preciso is only 1 year old but has already broke once. I will not get another product made by this company. Want something more durable.

coffeedom

#2: Post by coffeedom »

There are a few angles you could approach this. If you are happy with the espresso you get from the Preciso and usually make espresso, you could go for an OE Lido for your non-espresso brewing needs. It would be one of the cheaper options and would be no sacrifice in quality.

[edit - the Lido is currently out of stock, but AFAIK it will return)

If you want to keep the Preciso for brewing you have a few options. If you don't mind hand grinding you won't do much better than the OE Pharos for the money ($245). If you prefer an electric grinder dedicated to espresso, then I would look at Lelit PL53 ($269 retail) as it is quite a good value.

To get a step up in quality, you can look at the Baratza Vario/Vario W for espresso, or if you keep the Preciso for espresso, you can get the Vario W with steel burrs (purchased separately) for your brewing needs. I note that you prefer not to get another Baratza product, but for me personally, I'd look into the Vario with steel burrs for something that could deliver top notch press pot grinds.

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

Wanting to upgrade to better grinder, that isn't a Baratza or a commercial grinder, gives you no options.

well.. Not NO options, but incredibly few.

If you want something that isn't a big grinder, thats reasonable.

Check out the Mahlkonig ProM. Its like a Vario, but kicked up a couple notches, and its counter friendly. Should retain about as much as a vario. Which is like nothing.

Otherwise, its a commercial grinder. A Mazzer Super Jolly, Major, Compak K6 Pro or K8, or one of the big conicals, Compak K10 PB, Mazzer Kony, Mazzer Robur.

Everything except the Mazzer Robur will fit under standard cabinet hieght with out the hopper and enough room to single dose the throat of the grinder with beans, per shot. Every single one of these grinder, when used in single dose mode, will give you what you put in. The Conicals do have some retention, but its coffee that sortof gets compressed along the edges of the burr chamber, and doesn't move. So its not really retention.

Use of any of these with a full hopper, and the retention numbers vary. Big flats are generally better in this regard than big conicals.

dkny3939 (original poster)

#4: Post by dkny3939 (original poster) »

Baratza makes good grinders, but their products are lacking in build quality. My Preciso had a cracked adjustment ring within 3 months. They were nice enough to replace the grinder, but I really don't have any faith at all in the longevity of their products long term. I am not going to drop $400 on a grinder that's made mostly with cheap plastics.

The Pro M looks good. I am not crazy about its giant bean hopper since I always single dose with a scale, but it seems this is a worthy upgrade.

What about the Compak K3 Touch?

*Jeff: I noticed that you live in Westchester. Are there any good roaster you would recommend in Westchester or Rockland?

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

My drip grinder is a Baratza Maestro. It's so old it says "Solis" instead of "Baratza." Problem-free for 10 years, but I figure the burrs are pretty worn by now. So, I'm replacing it with a Baratza Virtuoso.
Marshall
Los Angeles

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Just find a used Mazzer SJ.
Scott
LMWDP #248

dkny3939 (original poster)

#7: Post by dkny3939 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:My drip grinder is a Baratza Maestro. It's so old it says "Solis" instead of "Baratza." Problem-free for 10 years, but I figure the burrs are pretty worn by now. So, I'm replacing it with a Baratza Virtuoso.
Good for you.

JmanEspresso

#8: Post by JmanEspresso »

dkny3939 wrote:*Jeff: I noticed that you live in Westchester. Are there any good roaster you would recommend in Westchester or Rockland?
Two, actually.

First one is decent. I haven't tried their espresso, but their brewed coffees were decent. Nothing Id go nuts over, but, nice to find some local fresh coffee. Bear Mountain Coffee Roasters.

The other one is pretty good. Coffeelabs, in Tarrytown. There is a cafe on main street. Their espresso blend, circus dog, is a very heavy bodied, spicy, chocolate bomb. Has its own style for sure, but good in its own right. As for single origins, again Ive only had them brewed, but what I have had has been good. If I have forgotten to time an order properly, Ill grab a half pound of their espresso to tide me over. It is similar to Dolce, from Vivace, but spicier.

Idk that I would put Coffeelabs up with the likes of Intelly or other top roasters, but they're certainly worth a try, thats for sure. Bear Mountain roasters isn't third wave in any sense. Its just local, fresh coffee.

hperry

#9: Post by hperry »

dkny3939 wrote:Good for you.
Your response to Marshall is unnecessarily dismissive. Many of us have very good experiences with Baratza grinders over the long term. For toughness the new Forte appears like it will really be a coffee bar level grinder.
Hal Perry

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by dumpshot »

Marshall wrote:My drip grinder is a Baratza Maestro. It's so old it says "Solis" instead of "Baratza." Problem-free for 10 years, but I figure the burrs are pretty worn by now. So, I'm replacing it with a Baratza Virtuoso.
Funny. I just upgraded last month to an OE Lido from a ten year old Solis Maestro as well. Never had one single problem with it.

Pete
LMWDP #484