Upgrade lelit pl53 or modded Gaggia?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
scottfa

#1: Post by scottfa »

At the risk of getting the dreaded "search the forums" responses, which I have BTW, I need some help.
I will be able to upgrade my espresso setup in the next year or two. After that we both retire and I don't see any large expenditures.
So, I have the Lelit grinder, and a PID, Silvia steam wand, and OPV modded Gaggia Coffee. Which would you upgrade first?
I have looked at the Varios, and the Quick Mill Silvano etc.
I make 2-3 caps a day.
Budget is around $1500-$1800. Unless something happens of course. I neeed to budget one item at a time.
Thanks for any help.

IntrepidQ3

#2: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I cannot comment on the machine, as I have no experience with it.

I have had the Vario for the past year. It is an excellent grinder. It is easy to use, maintain, and fits well on the counter. It grinds well, it has been said it is on par with the infamous Mazzer Superjolly (I have not used one). I grind straight into the portafilter. I rarely have any channeling or spritz issues (I solely use a bottomless pf). Best of all I do not have to use the WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique).

There are two things to be mindful of if you get the Vario.

1) The dreaded slipping settings.
I have not had a huge issue where I needed to call in, just a matter of readjusting the micro setting. There are cases that right of the box the settings can slip drastically. All you have to do is give Baratza a call and they will take care of you. Either swap our grinder or send you shims. Their customer service is top notch, they will resolve your issue no questions asked (my personal experience).

2) Slipping calibration over time.
There are reports that users need to recalibrate often. I have only had to recalibrate my Vario once over the last year. It took a year for it to slip a Macro step (2 to 1). This you will find with any grinder, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Recalibration is easy, they provide a tool and it takes about a minute to do. Maybe 5 min. the first time around if you are hesitant and constantly checking the recalibration directions like I was :lol:. Was concerned about bringing the burrs to close together. There is a great how to video provided by Seattle Coffee Gear.

Occasionally, I do have an issue with grinds spraying all over the counter when grinding into the portafilter (due to static). Again, this is a potential issue with any grinder, I just don't want you to be surprised when it happens.

Hope this helps and not just a reiteration of what you have already read.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I won't hit you with the dreaded search the forums message! :lol:

I've owned the Le'Lit PL53 and Super Jollies on up. What's your goal? If it's upgrading your espresso I suggest a Super Jolly or better. Maybe even get a grinder you will not want to upgrade. Your current grinder is very tunable for a good, consistent pour. If you're already getting consistent results you might upgrade your espresso machine first and budget for the grinder later. It takes awhile to get used to a new machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

scottfa (original poster)

#4: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Thanks for the responses.
I am aware of the Vario's potential shortfalls. I am also somewhat OK with the lelit. It drives me crazy that I have grinds everywhere and that my portafilter won't fit. Hmmmmm and it is loud.
My situation is a little different. There is no "saving up" for me, when both of us retire( I am just working part time now) I won't easily be able to upgrade.
So my dilemma: the vario seems great, but probably won't last 10-15 years. My Gaggia might, but I would like to step up in quality.
Anyway, the time to do this is now......
I really want to upgrade both but can't yet.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I've enjoyed upgrading by moving to a lever and a used one at that. Many of those brew great coffee and are easy to service. If you're comfortable rolling up your sleeves and asking for DIY help here you can get much more for less whether lever or pump. At your budget you could get a used Super Jolly and used machine if you watch online listings.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#6: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Hmmmmmm lever........and if I keep my gaggia as a backup I can have a king learning curve. Maybe!

#7: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Question..... How much force is needed to use a lever? My situation is my left shoulder was operated on to replace ligaments etc and now my right shoulder is acting up. Bad right thumb as well.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

No more than tamping, where people suggest 30 lbs, but you can use less with a manual (non-spring) lever. You can adjust grind to make it easy enough.

I had a SBDU e61 machine, saw a La Pavoni Europiccola on local Craigslist for $50 with grinder and accessories. My wife asked why I needed another espresso machine. I found it easier to use than my pump machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308