Upgrade from Rancilio Silvia to HX/DB

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeSpeaks

#1: Post by CoffeeSpeaks »

Heya, about a month ago I purchased a Rancilio silvia, followed by a Mazzer Super Jolly. Today I realized the single boiler in the silvia just won't cut it, especially considering I drink mostly milk based drinks; so my main question is what do you recommend as far as HX/DB machines? I'm thinking a Nuova Simonelli Oscar (Found a used one in pretty nice condition at a good price)

Gfcronus

#2: Post by Gfcronus replying to CoffeeSpeaks »

I am told that if you purchase a Silvia first, it qualifies you to jump right up to the LM GS/3 as your next machine, so you should give that a try.

CoffeeSpeaks (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeSpeaks (original poster) »

I was thinking a four group Linea! :lol:

Honestly, If the GS/3 was in the budget i'd go for it, but especially for me it's a tad bit out of my price range.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

You'll get more serious suggestions if you put more effort into your search. Here's some general advice from How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price:
HB wrote:Q. There are so many choices of espresso equipment. What general advice to you offer?

A. Although there's a lot of choices, you can make your decision more easily with the help of online communities like Home-Barista.com, CoffeeGeek.com, etc. People who share your interest in espresso can offer their recommendations, typically based upon hands-on experience. For general information, I recommend this video:
For other recommendations, search on "budget espresso machine" to find discussions at various pricepoints. If you haven't done so already, read CoffeeGeek's How to buy an espresso machine. Between these resources, you should find all your questions answered and many you've yet to consider.
And of course there's the The Bench, which cover a fairly wide range of equipment and prices.
Dan Kehn