Upgrade from Rancilio Silvia

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
samircanada

#1: Post by samircanada »

Hi everyone,
been lurking for the last 4 years but I finaly decided to register.

I have bought my Silvia 3 years ago now and our relationship has soured... although I could say I feel I have mastered the temperature surfing and I have it down to a T. It makes honestly great espresso.

However, I have to make my wife a latte every single morning and I have 2 espresso's a day in the AM and after dinner. The making the latte part is responsible for making me late for work consistently (my wife also refuses to learn how to work the machine but she is a smart woman like that)

Let me say that the Silvia is still going strong although it takes it some time for the boiler to draw water from the first turn on. I have to run water through the hot water function first (to warm the cups) it takes it a good 20 seconds to hear the sound of the pressure building up in the lines. It didnt use to do that so I find myself thinking it may slowly be going on me... is their something I can adjust to fix this issue? I want to sell the machine so I dont want to pass along any major problems.

My choices upgrade choices are Bezzera Bz07, Expobar office lever, La Nuova Era Cuadra, QuickMill Alexia. So basically entry level E61 with good performance. Which one would you recomend?
I am looking for:
- longterm reliability (I would like it to last at least 5-8 years with proper care)
- Great espresso performance
- Good steaming performance (least amount of downtime)
- Possibility to plumb in (in the future)

Talk to me :)

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

I believe the Alexia is the SBDU e61 from Quickmill. So cross that one off.

Question: How much milk do you steam at one time for your wife's drink?

samircanada (original poster)

#3: Post by samircanada (original poster) »

I dont steam a huge amount, just enough to fill a standard mug which has a double espresso poured in it. If I have to guess I will say approximately a cup or cup 1/4. The issue is more because of the downtime between having to brew 2 shots of espresso (one for me, one for the cappuccino) and then having to wait for the steam is annoying. (you know you live in the first world when you complain about this...)

We entertain often enough and its not unusual for me to make 4 cappuccinos at a time. So generally speaking I end up making many milk drinks somewhat often because most of our company arent big espresso drinkers. Of course when its a girls night I am on cappuccino duty (if I didnt have time to escape the house) and I have to make 8 or more cappuccinos... because you all know everyone says: oooh! what a nice setup you have there can we have cappuccinos. I am like that meme below...

I am not looking for something that can constantly handle 8 or more drinks... when they are that many, they can wait their turn thats not a big deal. At least something that can handle 4 latte's in a row would be worth the upgrade for me.

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

It just depends how much you want to spend since you are making smaller sized lattes you don't need a huge powerful steamer imho. I do well with my Vibiemme Jr and it's only a 1 liter boiler with steam power a plenty for my small milk drinks.

The cost that you come across is wanting the option to plumb in which is an Andreja Premium or Vetrano from Quickmill or like an Alex Duetto. All of those are in the 1700+ price range. Otherwise you can do really well with any of your other picks for right around a thousand.

iginfect

#5: Post by iginfect »

Whatever machine you get, it won't perform as well with a Rocky. I'd upgrade the grinder w/ suggestions of a Mazzer Super Jolly, HG-one or a Baratza Vario.
If upgrading, I'd also go for a plumbed in.

Marvin

hamish5178

#6: Post by hamish5178 »

Expobar Office Lever Plus can do both tank and plumb. Great machine for its low price.

nile13

#7: Post by nile13 »

I picked up an NS Oscar and have used it for 2 months now after having Silvia for two years. Other than the look of the machine (it's not stainless steel) I am really, really impressed by Oscar.

The other unusual suggestion would be Breville Dual Boiler (900 series). Not something that associates with good espresso in most people's mind, but the feedback I'm hearing makes me think that this will be my next machine replacing both Silvia and Oscar. Of course I also picked up a lever Elektra to exercise my need for artistic frustration.

#8: Post by samircanada (original poster) »

Thanks guys,
I am leaning towards the expobar office lever more and more.
Any major reason not to go for it? known reliability issues or anything?

Also, regarding the rocky grinder... correct me if this is wrong but if I can pull excellent shots with the Silvia using the rocky, shouldnt I be able to do so using a better machine like the expobar?

jfrescki

#9: Post by jfrescki »

All the switchable machines are higher than you're budgeting for unfortunately. If you could plumb now one option that doesn't get much love anymore (probably because of it's looks) is the Bezzera BZ02 direct connect. It also gives you a hot water tap unlike Oscar.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

#10: Post by samircanada (original poster) »

Bz02 isnt the pretiest you are right... also it doesnt seem like much of an upgrade from Silvia.

like I said, I am starting to lean towards the Expobar office lever more and more, unless someone can talk me out of it.