UNIC Mira Twin 2g, any feedback/advice on this espresso machine for small cafe?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
awscreo

#1: Post by awscreo »

Hi.

We are opening an inn/small cafe upstate New York, in a rural area near by the lake. We are complete newbies to the cafe business, lots of learning ahead for sure) our customer flow won't be crazy, it's a small town with some tourist traffic in summer/autumn seasons.

We went to Chris coffee in Albany, and they highly advised this machine to us. They are saying it's a very reliable and high quality machine that will be sufficient for our needs. What do you think? I couldn't find a single review for this particular model and that kind of alarmed me a little bit. Our budget for the machine is around 5-6k, we just need a simple, reliable machine that will allow is to learn the craft and provide good quality drinks for our customers.

Would appreciate any feedback/advice on this.

Ellejaycafe

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Unic has been around for a long time. I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It seems like a no frills machine. You will probably have to work in a flush routine if left idle for a while but that's about the only issue I see, which isn't much of one IMO.

I think if you paired it with a great grinder you would be very happy with it! The grinder would be my main concern if I were looking to get this machine.

Edit: I see after looking at the machine further it might not need cooling flushes after all and that's a huge plus in a commercial setting.
LMWDP #544

awscreo (original poster)

#3: Post by awscreo (original poster) replying to Ellejaycafe »

Thank you for a reply! I didn't think there's anything wrong with the machine in particular, they showed it to us in the showroom, and it seemed fine. I was just wondering if UNIC as a brand has a good reputation, and if this is a good purchase. I realize it's a budget machine, but it's still enough money to sink into to feel a bit nervous about buying a dud :)

#4: Post by awscreo (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Unic has been around for a long time. I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It seems like a no frills machine. You will probably have to work in a flush routine if left idle for a while but that's about the only issue I see, which isn't much of one IMO.

I think if you paired it with a great grinder you would be very happy with it! The grinder would be my main concern if I were looking to get this machine.

Edit: I see after looking at the machine further it might not need cooling flushes after all and that's a huge plus in a commercial setting.
BTW they suggested a Fiorenzato F64 Grinder to pair with this machine, it's not very pricey, around 600$. Would that be a good grinder for us?

Ellejaycafe

#5: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to awscreo »

Honestly I have no idea, I've never used the grinder. What exactly do you expect your output to be? 100 people a day? 200? And what's your budget for a grinder. In my experience, and almost everyone on this site, the grinder can make or break you. You want to find something that's fast enough for your expected output, consistent, and reliable.

There are also a whole lot of variables that come to play that you haven't provided. What kind of drinks do you plan on serving? Traditional lattes or big gulp flavored drinks (which there is nothing wrong with!). Who will be your supplier of beans? What type of roast and flavor are you going for?

Before my business got to where it is today we used a mazzer super jolly e and it did a great job at a low volume. But as business picked up it simply couldn't keep up. You always need to think ahead when it comes to business. Over buying and getting a machine/grinder combo you might need in the future is almost always worth it.

Looks like you have a lot to think about here! I own and operate a small coffee kiosk in a business building and have been thru all of this, feel free to pm any questions that might clog up the thread.
LMWDP #544

frank828

#6: Post by frank828 »

also consider contacting a reputable coffee roaster. they likely can assist you in training and acquiring equipment at a significant discount.

some that come to mind are cafe grumpy and counter culture. there are a bunch, i think. hopefully someone more familiar with new york roasters can chime in.

#7: Post by awscreo (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Honestly I have no idea, I've never used the grinder. What exactly do you expect your output to be? 100 people a day? 200? And what's your budget for a grinder. In my experience, and almost everyone on this site, the grinder can make or break you. You want to find something that's fast enough for your expected output, consistent, and reliable.

There are also a whole lot of variables that come to play that you haven't provided. What kind of drinks do you plan on serving? Traditional lattes or big gulp flavored drinks (which there is nothing wrong with!). Who will be your supplier of beans? What type of roast and flavor are you going for?

Before my business got to where it is today we used a mazzer super jolly e and it did a great job at a low volume. But as business picked up it simply couldn't keep up. You always need to think ahead when it comes to business. Over buying and getting a machine/grinder combo you might need in the future is almost always worth it.

Looks like you have a lot to think about here! I own and operate a small coffee kiosk in a business building and have been thru all of this, feel free to pm any questions that might clog up the thread.
At launch we'll have a small classical selection for drinks - espresso based late's/cappuccinos/espresso shots and variations on those. We'll definitely have some drip as well, as we think this is what most of the people here will buy anyway, at least in the beginning. Hopefully, with some promotions and marketing we'll be able to attract more people to try the espresso based drinks. For our bean supply - we have two major options at the moment, a smaller roaster in NH that can give us unmarked packages so we can brand it with our logo, and also a bigger roaster in Vermont. They both offered good prices on drip coffee/drip grinders. When I was asking about a grinder, I meant an espresso grinder, I didn't specify, sorry! I will look at the model you've mentioned, thanks!

Can someone else chime in on this UNIC machine? Maybe an alternative opinion?) So far it's looking good tbh.

#8: Post by awscreo (original poster) »

Shameless bump)

dparham

#9: Post by dparham »

I have used a UNIC single DIVA thats 30 years old and looks almost as new as it did when I first got it... very little maintenance... i do have one little issue at moment with a control box... Im sending it out to one of our guys here to take a look at only because its age (box) but the rest is totally perfect and makes great shots! i think the groups are still same or similar even... i also had a LaMarzocco 3 gr manual and its very easy to service... most of these name brand machines use VERY similar or not exact same parts... ... My unit has never given me any real issues... and the Rhumba is almost a clone of the inside of my DIVA minus some upgrades to the computer module...if Im correct, the new machines have adjustable pre infusion electronically ... check it out!