Undecided about Baratza grinders

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
patou

#1: Post by patou »

I have read a lot in the last months to choose my next espresso machine. I had a Saeco Magic cappuccino machine for the last 10 years and after three visits for some repairs, I finaly decided it was time for an upgrade.

I will buy the Nuova Simonelli Oscar next week but I'm hesitating for the grinder. I do like the Baratza Vario, but I'm still undecided.

The problem, at least for me, is the more you read and study different grinders, the more you get mixed up because EVERY grinder has someone criticising it. That grinder would be in my price range (Canadian 465$ +/-)

For the Vario, I'm concerned about the belt mechanism, the frequent posts on the calibrating, clogging etc. Then there's a majority of owners very happy with it.

Does it need that much time to clean it, calibrate it etc.? Are the ceramic burrs really better than steel to prevent burning the coffee grains?

I will use it mostly for espressos.

I was suggested the Avanti Verona, but it's about 570$

Thanks for all suggestions and comments.

damonbowe

#2: Post by damonbowe »

In my opinion, the Vario just has minimal calibration. This is because it has a clicky mechanism and there are about 4 click sweet spots for you to "dial it in". More expensive grinders with infinite calibration require constant fiddling, like for instance the Super Jolly or Major.

However, EVERY grinder is going to require some frequent calibration because beans change over time. So a grind you use today will not be as good tomorrow. If you are lazy, you can just ignore the slight changes or enjoy them, and stop stressing about it. I'm pretty sure that as much as everyone on HB forums tries to criticize every grinder they see, they will tell you that this is part of the fun.

Basically, there is no such thing as a grinder that doesn't require constant calibration for making any type of coffee. Supposedly the conical grinders have a bigger sweet spot, and I've found this to be true on a Robur. But it's not by much...that extra $1500 investment buys you just a slight ability to avoid readjustment of grind, not a total escape.

With Baratza you get unparalleled customer support at a low cost. You get a grinder that actually fits on your counter top. And you get ease of use. Sounds like a great deal to me.

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

The vario isn't the most optimal espresso grinder, but for a casual home user, its hard to beat. The complaints that users here have come from the high expectations of equipment we have. Varios have good adjustability, I don't notice a lack when using it over my Mazzer. The ceramic burrs won't help with heating at a home-use level. It won't be an issue with any grinder doing a few shots a day.
LMWDP #366

patou (original poster)

#4: Post by patou (original poster) »

Hey thank you guys!

I really appreciate your comments...really!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

damonbowe wrote: However, EVERY grinder is going to require some frequent calibration because beans change over time.
You are confusing grind adjustment with recalibrating. If you use a Vario as advertised; switching back & forth between a coarse & an espresso setting, you will eventually have to recalibrate the grind adjustment mechanism. This is one reason most owners end up either using it for espresso or for brew grinding but not both.
LMWDP 267

Nate42

#6: Post by Nate42 »

The perfect home use espresso grinder is a thing that does not exist. Even the expensive commercial grinders many use have their issues, largely because they are very large and were designed for use in a high volume environment where wasting coffee is not a major concern.

Baratza makes the best designed for the home grinders available. Most of the complaints with vario come from lack of repeatibility when making large adjustments from drip to espresso. And it has plastic parts that will wear out faster than commercial gear.

For similar money you could get a used super jolly that will last you forever, but now you have a big commercial beast sitting on your counter, if it even fits on your counter.

I'll put in my usual plug for the Pharos also. I won't say its the perfect grinder either (you gotta work for it), but it does give you the best quality grind money can buy, and costs less and takes up way less space than the big commercial conical you would need for comparable quality.

kize

#7: Post by kize »

I have and use a Baratza Vario paired with an Alex duetto II. I pull 2 up to 8 shots per day going on 2 years. I single dose sometimes- sometimes I don't. It is perfect in the home environment. It has worked trouble free for me. Do I want something nicer- of course ! But I'd have to spend 3 times the amount of a Vario to get there. Im not willing to do it. SO I keep running it. When It dies I'll probably purchase a forte'.

turtle

#8: Post by turtle »

There is not much else at that price point that will do as good of a job.

Once you have it dialed in you do not need to change settings until you start a new batch of beans, then it is mostly just a tweak this way or that, nothing major.

I used a Vario-W and Super Jolly for espresso and found that I used the Vario-W more often, until I modified the SJ to be time based electronic dosing. Now I only use the SJ for fine grinding.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

patou (original poster)

#9: Post by patou (original poster) »

Thanks again everyone for all the reply and comments.

patou (original poster)

#10: Post by patou (original poster) »

Well I finaly bought the Vario grinder with the Nuova Simonelli Oscar Machine. Started this morning to play with them. I think it will be a trial and error training...

I wonder if it's normal for my Oscar if up to now I had to place my Vario grinder on the third setting from the top (espresso), otherwise it seems too fine and it doesn't pour correctly. Maybe I tamper too hard...that's where I am right now in my experiences with both.