UK coffee newbie moving to US - grinder & espresso machine with $2000 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SockToy

#1: Post by SockToy »

So, I'm just enough of a coffee nerd to have gone on a few barista days, and to have owned a super jolly & silvia with PID kid & lagging.

Moving to the US is an opportunity to upgrade, obviously - but I dont know the market here and if there are domestic US brands that are as good or better than the Italian stuff I was using in the UK. Ideally I'd like to move to a decent dual boiler or heat exchanger model to make it easier for my other half to make the milky drinks she likes while leaving me with espresso, and a double burr grinder at least as good as the jolly - but possibly slightly smaller and less industrial.

I'm very very happy to buy second hand and keep an eye out for a bargain, and probably have a total cap for grinder & machine of 2000$. I still have my tamper, knockbox, milk jugs, etc.

Any thoughts, or is it just 'buy the things you would have bought in the UK, matt''?

Also, if there's any thoughts on 120v/240v friendly machines it'd be nice not to have to replace it all when we go home - though Im not sure any such things exist....

TxHr

#2: Post by TxHr »

Hi Matt,

The Breville 920XL is a great value and from the looks the new Sette 270 coming out at the end of July should be a great bang for the buck grinder. The BDB can usually be had for 20% off retail or can be found gently used for a bargain.

Good Luck,

Brandon