Thinking of adding Baratza Virtuoso to my current LIDO 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chuckster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Chuckster »

My morning coffee routine is now mostly 50 g lighter roasted beans ground in the Lido 2 w/ the more aggressive Italmill burrs brewed in an 8 cup Chemex. I like the quality in the cup, but the effort needed for the large batch has me looking for options.
I'm thinking about adding a Virtuoso - can I expect similar results in the cup?
I have also considered Vario w/ steel burrs or even a G1 Bunnzilla, but I'm not ready for that level of investment yet.
Thanks in advance.

Chuck

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Chuckster wrote:I'm thinking about adding a Virtuoso - can I expect similar results in the cup?
Probably. I have a Preciso, and I've long thought my L2 [w. aggressive burrs] gave me a better cup, actually, but it's not in an entirely different league.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

No, my old Lido 2 is vastly superior to my virtuoso. I can't explain it but ive made the same coffee side by side with each using the exact parameters numerous times.

NightFlight

#4: Post by NightFlight »

I have a Preciso and a Lido 2 and I prefer the Lido 2 for my brews also.

mwright

#5: Post by mwright »

I had a Virtuoso and a Lido 1 and I much preferred the Lido 1.

NightFlight

#6: Post by NightFlight »

I'm starting to see a consensus here. :wink:

EDIT: The preciso is still a very good grinder for brew. :)

Chuckster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

Thanks for all of the feedback - I suspected that might be the consensus as the Lido is a great grinder.
I'll keep cranking the Lido for now 8)

BenKeith

#8: Post by BenKeith »

I think the only way you could accurately compare them would be to screen the coffees to ensure they are both producing to the same grind size, and then have someone else do the brew or some way so you would have a blind test. I'm not talking about just brewing one grind size, let the fines go with them because the amount of fines would definitely impact flavor, just make sure they are both producing the same size larger grinds. I don't care what it is, anytime you have a preconception something is probably going to be better, your mind is usually going to tell you it is.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

I don't screen coffee grounds normally. Why wouldn't I just dial in each grinder to give its best-tasting cup (for the same coffee), and then compare blindly? (and repeat with other coffees)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BenKeith

#10: Post by BenKeith »

I don't know, that sounds too simple. I thought you had to be scientific about it and make it all complicated.