Thinking about a budget buy for an espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Duh bear

#1: Post by Duh bear »

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about trying something new. My setup is currently a Mypressi, Pharos, and Bellman steamer, which means the grinder should be capable and milk steaming is not a necessity. I guess I'm not too worried about space concerns or portability, just the best quality shot. Beyond that, I'm out of my league. So at around $400, is there anything that can compete with the shot quality of a Mypressi? Or should I just buy another for when mine inevitably breaks? Any ideas?

Duh bear (original poster)

#2: Post by Duh bear (original poster) »

I should add that I am using it to make flat whites at the moment. However, I am hoping to eventually gain a further appreciation of straight espresso.

2StrokeBloke

#3: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

For around $400, you can purchase a family heirloom quality machine that will allow you to pressure profile and best of all, it's as portable as your Mypressi. The only piece of plastic on it is the knob on the handle!

It's called the Rossa, by the Australian genius at www.portaspresso.com

There are a couple of types with a couple of options. I have a brass Rossa HC-P which has a handle I must turn to generate the pressure, and it has a pressure gauge so I can profile the shot.

He recently has made the Rossa TR/PG in brass or aluminum and the PG has the profile gauge. The difference with this one is you charge it with high pressure air and then regulate it's release (to push the water thru the coffee) instead of hand cranking it.

I think there are pro and cons for each style, but the underlying aspect of all of them (and his grinders too) is that they are built extremely well. You WILL be passing these down to your kids, not tossing them out once some plastic piece wears out.

If you are looking for something a bit more 'stationary', I'd recommend the Arrarex Caravel. They frequently sell for around $400 and produce a very small, but extremely good shot. Do some searching on the Lever forum for Caravel!

Let us know what you end up with!

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'd strongly suggest that you grab a Caravel and give it a try. They are so easy to use and the shots are really something special. You've already got the Bellman steamer so the lack of steaming functionality probably won't bother you.
LMWDP #435

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner replying to [creative nickname] »

My thoughts exactly! Look on eBay.it.
Scott
LMWDP #248