Talk me out of buying a La Marzocco GS3 (or not)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
rodcell

#1: Post by rodcell »

My current setup:
-Compak K10 wbc
-Pasquini Livia 90
-Mahlkonig Guat for v60, french press and behmor brazen

I feel like the livia 90 is the weakest link and it needs to go.
I've done some reading on the gs3 but the argument against it seems to be complicated electronics packed into a small space leading to potential maintenance issues down the road and the cost (quoted to be around 5800 for paddle version, I think used might go around 3k? not sure...).

What do you guys think about the gs3?
Do you guys think it'll be nicer to use than a cheaper alternative?

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

You come to home-barista.com, what 99.99% (rounded off) of the world's coffee drinkers would consider the watering hole for anal-retentive lunatics, and you ask us to talk you out of a $6000 espresso machine? HELL yes! Don't do it..! There are some really great $10,000 machines out there, and you will regret spending so little on the GS3 every time you make an espresso. And don't come back here whining about how we should have been more forceful in the effort to talk you out of the GS3 or we'll sign you up for the "Folger's Of The Month Club!"

How'd I do? Any "+1"s on this ?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

rodcell (original poster)

#3: Post by rodcell (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Any opinion on the GS/3 vs. alternatives?

Gary S.

#4: Post by Gary S. »

Randy G. wrote: How'd I do? Any "+1"s on this ?
Absolutely +1 Randy!

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

rodcell wrote:Any opinion on the GS/3 vs. alternatives?
You do realize that my post was totally ridiculous? Entirely, from start to finish meant to be humorous? You are shopping in the stratosphere of coffee makers. I think the only bad choice to make in a machine in that price range is getting one in a color that clashes with the decor.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#6: Post by rodcell (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Yes I realized that from the beginning.

Since I'm jumping from a low-end machine (Pasquini) to a fairly high end range, I just wanted to make sure i'm making the right choice since it's a big leap...

frank828

#7: Post by frank828 »

Randy G. wrote: are some really great $10,000 machines out there, and you will regret spending so little on the GS3 every time you make an espresso.
lol

to the OP, what is wrong with the pasquini that you want to upgrade?

#8: Post by rodcell (original poster) replying to frank828 »

1. steaming just blows.
most of the time I wait until the boiler pressure gauge is near the highest and it's being heated to steam but it's still pretty weak.

2. espresso quality not quite as good as i would like.
and it's not due to grinder and as far as i can tell, i'm not doing anything to mess up...

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

A little more than three years ago, and after nearly twenty years with a Livia 90, I narrowed my options down to the Elektra T1, La Marzocco GS/3 and La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior Casa.

I can't say that I wasn't glad to save the money (back then the Elektra and GS/3 were about the same price), but bought the Casa for other reasons. Since then, I haven't found a single reason to regret the decision.

The advantages of a DB, even a GS/3 -- especially for someone coming off years of experience using a particularly temperamental HX like the Livia -- compared to an HX as stable and friendly as the Casa are... well... pretty much non-existent.

In addition to the Cimbali Casa, there are some other sub $4K, commercial HXs with great groups and pre-infusion worth looking at. The list includes (but is probably not limited to), the: Astoria Divina 1; Elektra T1, Faema Enova; and Nuova Simonelli Appia.

In addition to having the best bang for the buck, the La Cimbali has the most words in its name. Talk about compelling.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

kize

#10: Post by kize »

IF a gs3 is the ticket for you then by all means go for it. You are jumping from a VW beetle to a Lambo. But there are many in between that will serve you well also. I owned a Livia 90 for 13 years and it was a frustrating relationship. I wanted an E61 due to simple design. I wanted a dual boiler. After much research I purchased an Alex Duetto II. Out the door the Livia went. That was four+ years ago-- and I'm still happy with my decision and its performance. You have to pick what works for you. A long term investment for sure.