Sub $2000 grinder to go with La Marzocco GS/3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lifeis11

#1: Post by lifeis11 »

Hello All,

After lurking a while, I've decided to join up to seek some really specific advice.

Originally cut my chops on a Rancilio Silvia/Rocky setup, got hooked, and recently upgraded to a Rocket R58/ Mazzer Mini E Type B.

I've decided I'd like to move this setup to my office, and upgrade my home setup again. I'm more or less set on the GS/3 for a variety of reasons, but the grinder has me a bit stumped. Originally, I was leaning towards a SJ, but after reading how much better the Major was in basically all aspects, this seemed to be my next grinder. However, all of the postings about how the K10 is the greatest thing since sliced bread have me rethinking my position. My hesitation is that the K10 simply wont be as durable as a Mazzer, and that the conical burrs will wind up storing more ground coffee in them. My habits are such that I will only be pulling 2-3 shots a day from this machine, so that's a concern.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Any titan grinder will outlast you. This thread should be very informative. Calling all Titan grinder owners... help me decide Flat burrs do not retain less coffee if you are single dosing. You can effectively have 0 retention if you single dose. I don't think the major is a significant upgrade from your mini with SJ burrs.
LMWDP #353

danetrainer

#3: Post by danetrainer »

K10, or any 68mm conical.
My hesitation is that the K10 simply wont be as durable as a Mazzer,
The K10 is a top rated commercial grinder, and will outlast "you" in home use :lol: (ie:lifetime)

lifeis11 (original poster)

#4: Post by lifeis11 (original poster) »

my understanding is that the SJ burrs are a bit different than the mini E burrs, although they are the same size. also from my reading, it would seem that people credit the major with an improvement basically around the board over the cheaper mazzer offerings: speed, consistency, etc etc.

call me crazy, but the k10 seems very computer-heavy and plastic-y: both of which are red flags in my world.

bostonbuzz

#5: Post by bostonbuzz »

Computer-y it is not. You are probably thinking of the K10 Fresh which has a chute and a screen on it. The Fiorenzato Doge conico is the best buy titan at the moment.
LMWDP #353

#6: Post by lifeis11 (original poster) »

right - that was indeed the one i meant. i should probably mention im also not at all interested in a doser.

#7: Post by lifeis11 (original poster) »

any thoughts on the Kony? I seemingly never see it mentioned.

TheSunInsideYou

#8: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

lifeis11 wrote:right - that was indeed the one i meant. i should probably mention im also not at all interested in a doser.
May I ask why you aren't interested in a doser? It's definitely more home-friendly when it comes to retention, which is a concern of yours.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

#9: Post by lifeis11 (original poster) »

surely -

my perception is that the coffee will basically sit in the doser, and with the shot volume that im going to be going through on a daily basis, it hardly seems warranted. essentially, my perception is that retention may be less - but only because it is then all retained in the doser. :?

TheSunInsideYou

#10: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

lifeis11 wrote:any thoughts on the Kony? I seemingly never see it mentioned.
If you follow the link to the forum that John (Bostonbuzz) referenced, you will see a pretty strong fight for the Kony from a barista who has used both that and the Robur. The Kony is kind of in an odd range, IMO, which is why it gets overlooked. What I mean by this is that the Super Jolly and the Major were the tried and true Mazzer commercial flat burr, and the Robur has always been the tried and true Mazzer commercial conical, and I think this is because of the idea that if you're willing to spend upwards of $2000 on a grinder, go all out. It's a bit cheaper, with a smaller burrset, and I think it get overlooked mainly because of the simple fact that it's too close to the Robur to not get the Robur. I'm not saying I agree with this, but that seems to be the outlook of cafe owners.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.