Starting my espresso-journey, but which equipment? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
canuckcoffeeguy

#11: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Tanax wrote:How many cups will I do per day? I'm not sure since I don't have an espresso machine right now but I'd assume at the most 1-3 per day, depending if only I am drinking or if my girlfriend wants to drink that day too. If we're having guests, I can guess that I'll be making perhaps 4-6 in "one go". These are both straight up espressos but also milk-based drinks so good steaming-capability is required.
If you want good steaming capability, you'll have to skip SBDUs or thermoblock machines. That leaves you with HXs, double boilers, or levers.

If you frequently have guests, and will be making 4-6 drinks in one go, you're basically limited to HXs and double boilers.

Tanax (original poster)

#12: Post by Tanax (original poster) replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Glad to see you came to the same conclusion as I did :)
But which HX/DB machines are good in the pricerange I previously mentioned?

Like I said, I have checked out Expobar Office Leva as well as the Bezzera BZ10 and they seem quite nice but there might be some better machines I haven't considered?

weebit_nutty

#13: Post by weebit_nutty »

The machines you've listed are all perfectly suitable for your needs. You will be happy with any one of them.

I had the same exact requirements going in, and with my first machine I chose a classic lever. It took me a bit of time to warm up to getting a pump machine, but even those ended up being classic Swiss-made, which I had grown partial to due to my experience with my Cremina 67. My espresso journey has taken me through several other machines and from the looks of it, there is really no settling down for me. After having experienced the HX, I'll be moving on to something much more robust (and expensive), but for daily duty I will always prefer something manual and small. I currently am pulling shots on a Strietman single shot puller (first gen) and it has been incredible. The machine warms up in the time it takes me to dispense hot water into my kettle, walk over and pour it into the machine. 30 seconds or so. With cold water, it will take a few minutes. Either way it's more than fast enough to be up and running before you've finished grounding beans and tamping your pf basket. I'm very impressed with it and highly recommend it for someone who is strictly an espresso drinker and has the money for it.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

peacecup

#14: Post by peacecup »

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss levers, very nice vintage hand grinders, and espresso in Sweden.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Tanax (original poster)

#15: Post by Tanax (original poster) »

weebit_nutty wrote:The machines you've listed are all perfectly suitable for your needs. You will be happy with any one of them.

I had the same exact requirements going in, and with my first machine I chose a classic lever. It took me a bit of time to warm up to getting a pump machine, but even those ended up being classic Swiss-made, which I had grown partial to due to my experience with my Cremina 67. My espresso journey has taken me through several other machines and from the looks of it, there is really no settling down for me. After having experienced the HX, I'll be moving on to something much more robust (and expensive), but for daily duty I will always prefer something manual and small. I currently am pulling shots on a Strietman single shot puller (first gen) and it has been incredible. The machine warms up in the time it takes me to dispense hot water into my kettle, walk over and pour it into the machine. 30 seconds or so. With cold water, it will take a few minutes. Either way it's more than fast enough to be up and running before you've finished grounding beans and tamping your pf basket. I'm very impressed with it and highly recommend it for someone who is strictly an espresso drinker and has the money for it.
peacecup wrote:Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss levers, very nice vintage hand grinders, and espresso in Sweden.

PC
Thank you both for your replies as well as your offer peacecup :) The fast heat-up time does sound appealing but since I almost exclusively drink milk-based drinks such as cappuccino's or latte's I don't think lever machines will suit me, unfortunately :)

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

If anything, the home levers punch above their weight when steaming milk. I traded a breville dual boiler for an Elektra microcasa a leva, a spring lever which costs about the same as the BDB if you buy new, and I was thrilled at the upgrade in steaming power.
LMWDP #435

pacificmanitou

#17: Post by pacificmanitou »

My lusso (under $800 now) could steam for weeks. The 3l boiler is hard pressed to run out of steam. The only machine with higher steam ability that I have used is a commercial HX machine. Lusso also uses a thermosyphon group, which is self regulating and can pull shots in a consistent manner as long as there's water in the boiler. It resets temperature automatically over a few minutes, which is about as long as it takes to prepare the next drink, in my experience.
LMWDP #366

DeGaulle

#18: Post by DeGaulle »

Like I said, I have checked out Expobar Office Leva as well as the Bezzera BZ10 and they seem quite nice but there might be some better machines I haven't considered?
The HX machines you mention probably come closest to your budget. They differ in group head design and in general Bezzera pays more attention to finishing and looks. The Expobar (E61 group) may require more flushing on the first shot to get to the right temperature and shorter flushes on the following shots if they are pulled not too far apart in time. The temperature may be dialed in more accurately playing with flushes, if you have a thermometer. If getting to the "about right" temperature is good enough for you, it is very easy on the BZ10. Just follow the same flush routine for every shot (about 6 seconds) to preheat your cups. An easy routine to get used to, works for me.
Bert

Dooglas

#19: Post by Dooglas »

Lauren wrote:as for me I like La Marzocco GS3 for high quality, and it's also a good-looking one)
you can also look for good grinders here, Vario is a solid solid grinder. If you are budget conscious you can pick up the Precisio.
Wouldn't it be very unusual to pair a $7,000 LM GS3 with a Preciso grinder?

pacificmanitou

#20: Post by pacificmanitou replying to Dooglas »

I thought the same thing. Not only would it be unusual, it would be unwise. In order to utilize even half the functionality of that machine, you would need a Titan, or an EK.
LMWDP #366