Starting espresso machine/grinder, budget $1100

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeKr

#1: Post by CoffeeKr »

After years of drinking coffee and using a good old Nespresso machine I would like to get something better to drink 'real' espresso and cappuccinos.

But how to start with so many options and info? At work I use an Speedster and La Marzocco Linea Classic but of course, brewing a cup of coffee at home would be something else because everything needs to get set up and fine tuned.

My budget is around 1000 euro (1100 dollar) for the grinder and machine.

Any recommendations? And is there maybe, for instance, a book which I could read that would be helpful ?

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Welcome. Well, you already use top end equipment at work. So you'll have some adjustments to make when using less expensive machinery at home.

Guess it depends on how serious you want to get at home. And how many drinks you expect to make each session, and per day. And many milk drinks? Or mostly straight shots?

I see you're in the Netherlands. Check out this recent thread. That person is also in the Netherlands and posted some websites about what's available there. This could give you an idea of what's available.
Bezzera for first espresso machine

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

That's a tough budget.

I probably squeaked into that budget with a Gaggia Classic, Auber PID kit and Pharos hand grinder and VST basket. If I had done my own PID solution with eBay stuff, I could have saved $200 maybe and put that towards either machine or Grinder.

If you go for refurbished equipment or buyers remorse equipment, you could stretch your dollars. Baratza for instance.

If you go used, you might find a good deal on a used Silvia maybe even with a PID, and a used grinder with big burrs, either from a coffee person who is upgrading or a failed Cafe.

If you're willing to do work, you might find some used equipment that needs fixing up... Beware that fixing costs could add up.

As always, start with the best grinder and then look at the espresso machines.

You could post in the want ads for this site.
LMWDP #603

CoffeeKr (original poster)

#4: Post by CoffeeKr (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Welcome. Well, you already use top end equipment at work. So you'll have some adjustments to make when using less expensive machinery at home.

Guess it depends on how serious you want to get at home. And how many drinks you expect to make each session, and per day. And many milk drinks? Or mostly straight shots?

I see you're in the Netherlands. Check out this recent thread. That person is also in the Netherlands and posted some websites about what's available there. This could give you an idea of what's available.
Bezzera for first espresso machine
Thanks

What is serious.. I really like coffee and I would like to get the best coffee within my capabilities. And I'm also eager to learn more about the whole process.

My daily routine is around 4-5 cups of espresso and 2-3 cappuccinos for my wife. So that will be around 2-3 cups per session and 8 cups a day, with 3 cups which contains milk.

And @ Happycat. What exactly is a PID? Is it necessary? Budget is excluding accessories

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

CoffeeKr wrote:Any recommendations? And is there maybe, for instance, a book which I could read that would be helpful?
Not a book by any stretch, but How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price offers answers to the most commonly posed questions.
CoffeeKr wrote:What exactly is a PID? Is it necessary?
Check out Forum search tips. I searched on "What is a PID?" and it returned Good all round explanation of PID stuff as the first result.

That said, a PID is basically an electronic brew temperature controller; they're more precise than thermostats. Without this added precision, some home baristas resort to so-called "temperature surfing", a tedious workaround for the fussy temperature management most low-end espresso machines deliver.
Dan Kehn

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

What about a good second hand grinder and nive vintage lever like a La Pavoni europiccola, Peppina or Caravel or the likes, such a combo would keep you within budget and easily within the range of what you are used to at work quality-wise.

working in the scene should enable you to pick up a good used grinder fairly easy/cheap I reckon, francesco ceccarelli would be my goto place for a vintage lever. Total cost of my setup was approx 1200 and I have to confess that it frequently outperforms the Speedster espresso at work (usually revert to cappuccino there).
LMWDP #483

Trimethylpurine

#7: Post by Trimethylpurine »

Some good suggestions here.

What is your timeline for buying? I ask because of this:

Decent Espresso promises rock-solid temperature and pressure for less than $1000

T
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

wreckfish

#8: Post by wreckfish »

For a starter set, a baratza grinder like a vario (buy a refurbished one to keep price down) and a gaggia classic isn't bad. That's what I started with. It gets you in the game with a good grinder and you can always upgrade the classic with the PID down the road to make temp management more...well...manageable. The main issue I'd see for you with the Classic or similar is the need for several milk drinks. Switching back and forth between brew temp and steam temp is a hassle.

In that sense, a used lever machine with a vario (or other used high quality grinder) might be more suitable. If your budget were higher, you could also look at a Breville Dual Boiler and Baratza Vario. It would handle the straight shots and milk, along with good temp control, without any fuss, and honestly has a lot of features for the money.

Take this all with a grain of salt -- not sure what pricing and availability is on equipment where you are! Best of luck.