Some advice before purchasing Nuova Simonelli Oscar II

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ytm

#1: Post by ytm »

Hi everyone,

After years of using a moka pot, I decided to upgrade and get an Espresso machine, and after some research I decided to buy Nuova Simonelli's Oscar II, along with a Compak K3 grinder, which I feel is good enough as entry level equipment, given my budget.

The thing is, being an espresso newbie, I lack basic information, so here are my questions:

1. Mods - As I understand, I can install mods such as an OPV and a Sirai pressurestat, do you think I may need those, and perhaps others?
2. Accessories - I know I need a good tamper and a scale, but what about portafilter, baskets (other than the ones that come with it), steam tip*?
3. Are there any problems/issues in terms of usage/maintenance I should be aware of in the Oscar II and the K3 grinder ?

* From what I read, the Oscar II's steam wand comes with a 4-way steam tip, which may not work well for small amounts of milk.

Feel free to fill in any detail you think I may have skipped.

Thanks!

ytm (original poster)

#2: Post by ytm (original poster) »

Can anyone help?

It's not a small purchase for me (considering I'll have to import quite a few stuff), and I'd like to be able to hammer out the details before I make it.

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

ytm wrote:Hi everyone,

After years of using a moka pot, I decided to upgrade and get an Espresso machine, and after some research I decided to buy Nuova Simonelli's Oscar II, along with a Compak K3 grinder, which I feel is good enough as entry level equipment, given my budget.

The thing is, being an espresso newbie, I lack basic information, so here are my questions:

1. Mods - As I understand, I can install mods such as an OPV and a Sirai pressurestat, do you think I may need those, and perhaps others?
2. Accessories - I know I need a good tamper and a scale, but what about portafilter, baskets (other than the ones that come with it), steam tip*?
3. Are there any problems/issues in terms of usage/maintenance I should be aware of in the Oscar II and the K3 grinder ?

* From what I read, the Oscar II's steam wand comes with a 4-way steam tip, which may not work well for small amounts of milk.

Feel free to fill in any detail you think I may have skipped.

Thanks!
Oscar II is a very capable machine, so congratulations, it's a good decision. I haven't owned one personally so I can't comment on any issues/maintenance. I've had a few shots made with one (paired with a Pharos grinder) and they were tasty as ever.

OPV and Sirai are good mods since they enable you to change the brew pressure and steam pressure if you're not happy with the factory presets. I would definitely pick both of them.

You'll do fine with the NS standard baskets but in time you may want to try some VST or IMS baskets. They're not that expensive so if you order your machine from abroad, it's the easiest to add one or two different size baskets to the same order. 18g VST/IMS basket is a good starting point.

A 2-hole steam tip may become useful if you want to steam smaller amounts of milk. Again, not that expensive upgrade.

As for the grinder, I'm not familiar with the K3, but I guess it is a very decent entry-level grinder. Later on it is easy to upgrade your espresso game by updating just the grinder. I would, if possible, try to put in a bit more money and start with a grinder with about 64mm burrs. I used to have a grinder with 58mm flat burrs and I was really happy with it, but when I switched to a 64mm grinder there was an upgrade also in the taste of my espressos - not significant but noticeable. Now I use a 68mm conical burr grinder and it is in a totally different league. But if you're not into hand grinding (it does demand a little bit of force/technique) then it (a big conical) is most likely out of the question.

opother

#4: Post by opother »

No on all.

However learning how to steam the milk with a powerful steam wand (like in a heat exchanger machine) is going to have a learning curve and some practice.

A one hole tip might make it easier regardless of the amount (within reason of course) of milk being steamed.

Nick Name

#5: Post by Nick Name »

opother wrote:No on all.
Ok...

But what if he needs to adjust the brew pressure? At least the factory setting on Oscar 1 was way to high. What if he's not satisfied with it?

And what if he wants to adjust the boiler temp/steaming power? How do you do that without the Sirai? The standard pressurestat is not adjustable.

Also on a HX machine the brew temp is in a direct relationship with the boiler temp, so there is a good reason for spilling out a few bucks to add the possibility to play with it.

At least at Elektros.it they pre-install both mods for 90€ and it doesn't affect the guarantee. I think it's a no brainer if there ever was one.

ytm (original poster)

#6: Post by ytm (original poster) »

Thank you guys for the answers!
You'll do fine with the NS standard baskets but in time you may want to try some VST or IMS baskets. They're not that expensive so if you order your machine from abroad, it's the easiest to add one or two different size baskets to the same order. 18g VST/IMS basket is a good starting point.
What is the advantage of those filers?
IMS filters are offered on Elektros and I may put the extra buck on them if they're worth it.
As for the grinder, I'm not familiar with the K3, but I guess it is a very decent entry-level grinder. Later on it is easy to upgrade your espresso game by updating just the grinder. I would, if possible, try to put in a bit more money and start with a grinder with about 64mm burrs. I used to have a grinder with 58mm flat burrs and I was really happy with it, but when I switched to a 64mm grinder there was an upgrade also in the taste of my espressos - not significant but noticeable. Now I use a 68mm conical burr grinder and it is in a totally different league. But if you're not into hand grinding (it does demand a little bit of force/technique) then it (a big conical) is most likely out of the question.
According to the small research I performed (and some opinions I asked for), getting a better non-manual grinder than the K3 would require me to invest significantly more in order to have a sufficiently noticeable improvement in my shots.
A manual grinder (like Pharos) sounds great, but the cost of convenience is not one I'm willing to pay right now, but perhaps (If time permits) I'll get one anyway sometimes in the future and simply hack it together with some high torque motor in order to make it non-manual.
But what if he needs to adjust the brew pressure? At least the factory setting on Oscar 1 was way to high. What if he's not satisfied with it?

And what if he wants to adjust the boiler temp/steaming power? How do you do that without the Sirai? The standard pressurestat is not adjustable.

Also on a HX machine the brew temp is in a direct relationship with the boiler temp, so there is a good reason for spilling out a few bucks to add the possibility to play with it.

At least at Elektros.it they pre-install both mods for 90€ and it doesn't affect the guarantee. I think it's a no brainer if there ever was one.
I'm not sure I'll be adjusting things any time soon, so I've had my reservations about those mods, but as you've mentioned, the fact that they pre-install those makes me lean towards making this purchase.

thecoffeefield

#7: Post by thecoffeefield »

ytm wrote:According to the small research I performed (and some opinions I asked for), getting a better non-manual grinder than the K3 would require me to invest significantly more in order to have a sufficiently noticeable improvement in my shots.
A manual grinder (like Pharos) sounds great, but the cost of convenience is not one I'm willing to pay right now, but perhaps (If time permits) I'll get one anyway sometimes in the future and simply hack it together with some high torque motor in order to make it non-manual.
That's true, based on my personal experience. At the $500 price point, the K3 is excellent, the next step up with a noticeable difference in the cup is probably around $1K. You should also look into the Eureka, they are quite, good looking and excellent performers.

Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name »

ytm wrote: What is the advantage of those filers?
You get slightly better tasting coffee with them. Especially if you like lighter espresso roasts. If you prefer dark roasts you might not get the full benefit from them. I prefer light-medium/medium roasts for espresso/cappuccino so they work very well for me. There's been a lot of talk about VST and IMS baskets here, so if you're interested in more specific info you'll find it with the search function. Especially VST should be covered very well.
ytm wrote:According to the small research I performed (and some opinions I asked for), getting a better non-manual grinder than the K3 would require me to invest significantly more in order to have a sufficiently noticeable improvement in my shots.
You might want to check Bezzera BB005, especially if you're ordering from Elektros. It might be the best bang for the buck grinder under 500€. It's a 48mm conical, so it should be roughly in the same ballpark as 64mm flats. It does look a bit more like toy than the K3, but the price is very nice.
ytm wrote: I'm not sure I'll be adjusting things any time soon, so I've had my reservations about those mods, but as you've mentioned, the fact that they pre-install those makes me lean towards making this purchase.
One thing I didn't like about my previous machine was that it wasn't adjustable. If you get serious with espresso/cappuccino, then you'll be happy that you can at least adjust the boiler temp/pressure easily. I think they also add to the resale value.

opother

#9: Post by opother »

I would choose a high quality grinder or one of the cheaper grinders that produce good grinds (ascaso doserless conical i2 or imini NOT the flat burr version) with the intention of saving up for a high quality grinder to replace it.

Some grinders of different brands use the same burr sets and even mounts but different casings with their logo stamped on it. You could wind up paying more for looks. Researching the specifics of the burrs and mounting systems of specific grinders (especially home models) can be tedious and one can only hope that someone who owns one will post pictures and commentaries of the internals somewhere on the internet.

I used to own the innova connical (this actually lasted quite a while and i even got to sell it after I fixed a problem) the predecessor of the ascaso connical and it was all right but forget adjustment from espresso to drip you will literally be turning the very fine tuning adjustment knob round and round for quite a few minutes. These are meant to be left at one setting and occasionally fine tuned up or down as needed from time to time. I believe the bezzera is the same way. It does have a pretty stainless covering though.

I am not a fan of small flat burrs as made on home grinders. I had the rocky and it just did NOT make as good a grind as the others but my ebay refurbished from dirt bomb used mazzer super jolly grinder with replaced 64mm burrs was not bad.

I think you should ultimately shoot for a top of the line grinder sooner rather than later if you decide to keep making and drinking espresso in the long run.

I currently own a Brewtus and an older olympia maximatic (a dragon probably like yours) with an old mechanical pressurestat that has a deadband the size of the grand canyon and no gauges or opv valve. I use a terranova repaired versalab to grind with. Guess which machine I like better ? That would be the Olympia Maximatic. I find that cooling flushes quickly become instinctive.

After years of denial and refusal to even try I finally found out I am a heat exchanger person. I like the flavor better (a changing temperature profile [hump?]as it brews.)

The brewtus does have it's advantages and makes great shots with more (much more ) temperature control and is pretty much fully adjustable in every way but they are not the same to say the two are the same is in my opinion an outrageous claim. Both machines make great shots but they are different and it's a matter of taste.

i have a spare Jauger pressurestat for my brewtus steam boiler but the stock pressurestat is still going to this day ( years) and I have not found any need to replace it.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

ytm wrote:1. Mods - As I understand, I can install mods such as an OPV and a Sirai pressurestat, do you think I may need those, and perhaps others?

I'm a long and happy owner of an original Oscar and I bought the current K3T model when it first came out maybe 3 years ago. Having the mods added to a new O2 makes sense to me & I'd do it, although I'm not unhappy without those items on my stock Oscar 1. I did add a Lutron dimmer (on a plug-in harness, so there are no alterations to the machine) to reduce pump pressure to 9 bar into a blind basket, but it didn't make any difference in the cup with my usual Redbird espresso. The new Oscar is a great machine at a very good price - it's less expensive than my direct-connect Oscar 1 was.

I use an Espressoparts HQ21G 21gm basket in a naked PF, and it's outstanding in Oscar.

The K3T has been wonderful - I get great mouth feel and richness from Redbird, Hairbender, and a few locally roasted coffees like La Colombe Nizza. It's light years ahead of my son's MDF and any of the under-$300 grinders I've had over the last 20+ years, and I don't think it yields a better shot than any of the "lesser" Mazzers etc. The Compak is a solid, very well built machine with consistent output and very little retention (which I sweep down the chute with a chop stick after each dose). I have no experience with the Atom, which looks like a great grinder. And although I've never used one myself there are several Settes in top local shops for single origins and other one-off doses, and I've heard nothing but raves about them.

If you're looking for the subtle sensory gradations in esoteric light roasts, you probably want a "better" grinder and more adjustable espresso machine. But a stock Oscar and a K3T make a wonderful setup for those who love more traditional espresso and will be happy dialing in a coffee and enjoying it day after day. Both are solid, proven machines with excellent track records from manufacturers who will be there when you need them.