Small temperature display for T-type thermocouple?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
djbachelor

#1: Post by djbachelor »

Edit: Darn it, don't know how I ended up posting in Buying Advice... guess I'm out of practice! :oops:

I have a T-type thermocouple installed in one of the groupheads on my VFA expres, which I had connected to a clunky PID box sitting on top of the machine until the display quit working.

I believe that connecting the probe to a PID for the display temp is the standard approach, but I wanted something more compact and clean to install out of the way. I bought a small display off of ebay for $10--shown in the attached photo--but it is only compatible with K-type TCs (I actually thought this was what I had when I ordered it). It also only displays in Celsius.

The PID I had before was too large to fit under the "cowling" on front of the machine. Anybody have another suggestion? I figure if they make a tiny one for K-types, there must be one for T-types but I must not know the right terms or where to search.

I saw somebody on here set up an Arduino with temp display and automatic shot timer, which would be an awesome project... I just don't have time for another awesome project right now! But I'm jealous, and it's going on the list for sure. (But I think that TC amplifier board was also only for K-type.)

djbachelor (original poster)

#2: Post by djbachelor (original poster) »

Here's another pic with the compact display next to the old PID box for size comparison... just shouldn't take so much to read the temp!

I might be able to separate the display from the PID with the proper ribbon cable (or a soldering iron and some patience). There's plenty of room under the hood to stash the box, but the display would still be a lot more klunky than necessary.

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

djbachelor (original poster)

#4: Post by djbachelor (original poster) replying to JmanEspresso »

Sorry, missed your reply until just now. Thanks for the input! I did look into that Auber PID and that is my next best option... I think I could barely make it fit. Still- it is 4x the price and maybe 8x the size (depth) of the simple little readout I got! IF there is a Fahrenheit, T-type option out there for cheap, I sure can't find it.

I have to admit though that the Arduino shot timer/temp display somebody posted on here looks VERY cool and possibly not all that difficult to put together; total price might be in the range of what that Auber PID costs!

ontum

#5: Post by ontum »

Hello,

Did you come up with a good solution.

I recently purchased a single group head VFA Expres and may want to do something similar.

-
Craig