Slayer or Speedster? - Page 3

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
shawndo

Postby shawndo » May 19, 2017, 6:39 pm

deity6667 wrote:i'm still favouring the Speedster :)

<image>

acceptable setup!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

caffè lusso means luxury coffee
Sponsored by Caffè Lusso - caffè lusso means luxury coffee
wingnutsglory

Postby wingnutsglory » May 19, 2017, 6:56 pm

<image>

<wolf whistle>

mauijer

Postby mauijer » May 19, 2017, 7:12 pm

<image>

At least I have the same Scale as you! LOL. Gorgeous setup

chrisbodnarphoto

Postby chrisbodnarphoto » May 19, 2017, 9:02 pm

I've owned a 1gr Slayer and a 2gr Slayer and I sold both to end up with a Speedster (which is set to arrive in about a week).

I far prefer the look of the Speedster, it's approach to pre-infusion, and the fact it's 20amp in 110v guise. I'm not too sure why people get hung up on the 'Made In USA' bit, unless of course it's simply to support ones local economy. I've never ran into a Dutch designed-and-built machine that wasn't impeccable.

I also wasn't too keen on the fact that the 1gr Slayer left out the pre-brew tank, and I find the touch pad to be a PITA.

shawndo

Postby shawndo » May 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

chrisbodnarphoto wrote: I'm not too sure why people get hung up on the 'Made In USA' bit

I usually only care about USA made if the thing is something technical, heavy and might need service. If the Speedster has USA support (Which I am pretty sure it does) then I wouldn't see any reason to dismiss it.

I do run into folks with the nationalist/jingoist impulses that just default to "all things USA are better." but can't see any rational reason for that.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » May 19, 2017, 9:53 pm

I've had my Speedster for 7.5 years so far. No interest in replacing it. There are 3-4 U.S. distributors but I still prefer dealing directly with Kees & his staff.
LMWDP 267

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » May 19, 2017, 10:20 pm

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:I'm not too sure why people get hung up on the 'Made In USA' bit, unless of course it's simply to support ones local economy.

Everything else being equal, I prefer not to have to deal with international shipping, and it is nice to be able to talk to the manufacturer by phone without having to worry about a big difference in time zones. However, I have owned machines shipped directly to me from overseas with customer support in the Netherlands and Australia that worked out fine. As has been pointed out, the Speedster has support here in the USA, so there should be no concern. After all, as Thomas Friedman says, "the world is flat."

Rocky

online coffee courses for pros & enthusiasts
Sponsored by Boot Camp Coffee - online coffee courses for pros & enthusiasts
Nik

Postby Nik » May 20, 2017, 6:34 am

I have exact system as yours (all chrome Speedster). Paired with both Monoliths it is a joy to use. However I wish the area that I use my equipment was as beautiful and perfect as yours. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

<image>

flchriso

Postby flchriso » May 20, 2017, 11:10 am

BrooklynDoppio wrote:i don't want you to tell me which one to get. Which would YOU get and why? My post, my topic.

I can definitely appreciate you wanting to know why people made the choices they did, but that is still not giving you the full picture. I do think that Takeshi made a very valid point. Depending on what kind of coffee you drink as well as other factors should really factor into your decision. That being said, that is not something that people have been addressing in their replies to you either. So even if someone makes a great point about why they purchased one machine over the other they aren't addressing all of their priorities. And if they prefer to drink a totally different style of coffee to what you like then it would be a moot point and be of little use to you. So unless you know that their drinks and coffee preference lines up with yours, it might not matter why they bought one machine over the other.

ira

Postby ira » May 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

There was a time when I would have said Speedster without hesitation, but it's huge and really needs to be seen from both sides. I think it's the most beautiful current production home machine. What would make me consider something else was the shot I had from a baby Slayer at SCAA Atlanta. No idea if shots like that can be done on a Speedster, but it was certainly in a different class than every other espresso I've ever had. And no clue if it was the coffee, the machine or the stars, but something came together in a way I've never experienced before.

I drink espresso with milk and that was the first time it had ever seemed I might learn to drink straight shots. Other than that, the Speedster would win if I had a place to put it.

Ira