Simple "Elderly Gent" Pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
clynch

#1: Post by clynch »

I was thinking of getting a single cup pour over for my father. He is in his 80s. He has two measuring devices, a tea spoon and a table spoon. He drinks one cup of coffee a day and he likes it HOT. Currently he has a single cup Keurig. He makes his one cup and immediately puts it in the microwave to get it to the correct HOT temp for sipping. He would not appreciate coffee equipment that looks like lab equipment. It would be best if he could pour into the device once, possibly twice, and be done. No goose neck kettle or technique. Simple is better. Considering what he drinks now, anything would be an improvement. He will get his coffee and supplies from the local mega grocery store. I was thinking the small beehouse might be the way to go. Any suggestions?
Charlie

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Small Beehouse is very forgiving. Grab some Melitta filters (whites, please) in grocery store. Fix him up with a kettle which you can set at 200○ and leave. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TEA-100 ... rds=kettle

Help him figure out t/T's of coffee to volume of water and he is good to go. It will be an excellent cup.
-----
LMWDP #339

MWJB

#3: Post by MWJB »

This probably, well definitely, isn't the answer your looking for, but how about Turkish coffee? It's an immersion method & less dependent on hitting specific weights & rates of flow. He could filter through a plastic V60, or Aeropress to reduce silt?

clynch (original poster)

#4: Post by clynch (original poster) »

I thought about immersion but ... I don't know. He does his coffee in the Am and switches to green or herbal tea in the evening. That tea kettle with "temps" identified for various teas might kill several birds with one stone. I wasn't thinking on a kettle with variable temps but the more I think on it the more I like it.
Charlie

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

There are cheaper programmable kettles out there but I like to avoid plastic as much as possible.
-----
LMWDP #339

RobertL

#6: Post by RobertL »

I think a clever coffee dripper would fit your needs. No need for a fancy pouring technique and they are very forgiving. Not to mention they make excellent coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Focusing on the "hot" side of things two things spring to mind. Vac pot and the Bobble Presse. The Presse is pretty easy to use, put in the ground coffee, pour in the water, stir, then press down the inner sleeve, and it's durable so you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking unlike a vac pot, but it brews really hot coffee which can be a drawback and not an advantage in some situations.

Really not necessary, though, since your dad is already accustomed to microwaving his coffee, but it's a thought.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Bob_M

#8: Post by Bob_M »

Keurig now makes a coffee maker with adjustable brew temp and beverage size. Check it out here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 000G-00004

clynch (original poster)

#9: Post by clynch (original poster) »

Great ideas. I too do not like plastic kettles. The kettle in the link looks perfect. That same plastic thought makes me avoid the "clever.' I thought the clever was real cool and would fit the ticket. My concern is my father has "his" coffee cup. He likes hot. I want to go from pour to cup, avoiding another heat absorbing serving pot. If the clever doesn't fit his cup, he'll need a serving pot. Don't want too many devices for dad. That "linked" tea kettle showed an image with temperature selection. Green tea 175, white 185, oolong 190, herb 200, boiling 212. I can tell him to not use the tea dispensing basket in the pot. Just fill it with water, put it on 200, and pour into the beehouse that goes right into your cup. I might be able to get him to preheat the cup with a cup of hot water through the Beehouse and filter. I think I'm good to go. THANKS and Happy Holidays!
Charlie

[creative nickname]

#10: Post by [creative nickname] »

Get him a bonavita kettle and the smallest Espro press:

Espro

Kettle

The kettle can be programmed to pour at any desired temperature, and the press is double-walled, so it will keep the coffee hot until he is ready to pour. Of course, like any french press it will work best if he pairs it with a high-quality grinder.
LMWDP #435