Should I buy this Zacconi Riviera?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tcm3

#1: Post by tcm3 »

I realize this is more of a buying advice question, but being a lever, I thought it best to post here. This Riviera lever machine is available locally for $50. From a quick search, I believe it is a Riviera Eagle. After watching Dan's lever video, I've been interested in trying out a lever machine. Should I consider this machine? If so, what should I look at when checking it out.
Thanks, in advance, for the help.

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

$50? Don't hesitate. I've restored a number of Rivieras. They are excellent machines.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Do look in the boiler to see its condition. Check out the steam valve too, and maybe the underside for rust but at $50 it seems worth a rebuild, if necessary.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#4: Post by beer&mathematics »

Buy it ! Heck, no matter the condition of the machine, the PF is worth 50 so can't lose ;) and I'm a fan of the group (same as my Sama Export I think) so if you get it running after some TLC you will like
LMWDP #431

tcm3 (original poster)

#5: Post by tcm3 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Unfortunately, the seller just got back to me and it was sold. No surprise, I guess.
I'll keep looking.

tcm3 (original poster)

#6: Post by tcm3 (original poster) »

While I've got everyone's attention, this La Pavoni is available for $300. Seller says it Pre-millenium and has a rebuild group head. Good deal? I was really looking for an older model to rebuild (you know, get to the real basics of espresso), but this may be a more suitable machine to start on (I've got about 10 years experience with an HX pump machine, but have never pulled a lever). As always, appreciate all the help.

Nonprophet

#7: Post by Nonprophet »

So I'd been hunting for a used LP for a few months--just got one a few weeks ago. I'd say that's a pretty decent price if it's in good condition. I've seen them for lower, and I've seen them for higher.
tcm3 wrote:While I've got everyone's attention, this La Pavoni is available for $300. Seller says it Pre-millenium and has a rebuild group head. Good deal? I was really looking for an older model to rebuild (you know, get to the real basics of espresso), but this may be a more suitable machine to start on (I've got about 10 years experience with an HX pump machine, but have never pulled a lever). As always, appreciate all the help.
<image>
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

tcm3 (original poster)

#8: Post by tcm3 (original poster) »

Nonprophet wrote:So I'd been hunting for a used LP for a few months--just got one a few weeks ago. I'd say that's a pretty decent price if it's in good condition. I've seen them for lower, and I've seen them for higher.
Thanks for the reply. Is this your first lever? Is there a "best" first lever?

Nonprophet

#9: Post by Nonprophet »

Yes, this is my first lever. I'm not sure what a "best first lever" would be really. The LP seem to fit the bill for me because they are relatively low cost and there is an abundance of information out there on how to get the set up and pull really good shots.
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522