Shopping for E61 HX Espresso Machine (~$1200 budget)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jjoel

#1: Post by jjoel »

Due to an unfortunate shipping issue that resulted in the demise of my Crossland CC1 it looks like I will have compensation from UPS and will now be in the market for a new espresso machine. I want to try to do this right and it seems that the E61 HX machine would be the next logical step. I have a Baratza Vario grinder so I should be ready to roll with a nicer machine.

Criteria -
1) I want to be able to service the machine myself as much as possible. I intentionally steering away from any machines that have a built in PID etc. Last thing I need is for my machine to go down because of a proprietary circuit board.
2) I would prefer a machine that is pretty well established and that I can have confidence of being able to get replacement parts and the needed support if the machine were to ever go down.

Candidates so far (please recommend others that I might not have listed)
1. La Nuova Era Cuadra $1349 (can get 9% off right now)- Seems like a very popular machine. Don't really like that the sides are plastic but I guess it helps cost.
2. Vibiemme Domobar Junior $1369 (can get 9% off right now) - Also seems very popular. Not sure if I will regret the smaller boiler (1 liter)
3. Lelit Mara $1249 (again can get 9% off)- I don't know as much about this machine but it's priced the cheapest
4. Fiorenzato Volante $1499 (9% off again) - don't know much about this machine either.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm a little lost.

Beenbag

#2: Post by Beenbag »

Ideally you need to get to a store and see/try these options "hands on".
Failing that, google all the YouTube videos etc to get a better understanding of how each actually looks, sounds, and fits into your situation.
There are many others that might also suit (Bezzera BZ10, Isomac Tea II, etc ). But a store is the best way to find out exactly what they are like to work with.

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

jjoel wrote: Candidates so far (please recommend others that I might not have listed)
1. La Nuova Era Cuadra $1349 (can get 9% off right now)- Seems like a very popular machine. Don't really like that the sides are plastic but I guess it helps cost.
2. Vibiemme Domobar Junior $1369 (can get 9% off right now) - Also seems very popular. Not sure if I will regret the smaller boiler (1 liter)
3. Lelit Mara $1249 (again can get 9% off)- I don't know as much about this machine but it's priced the cheapest
4. Fiorenzato Volante $1499 (9% off again) - don't know much about this machine either.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm a little lost.
Some of your candidates are machines with narrow bodies. Is space at a premium? Also, I believe the Fiorenzato has a rotary pump, while the others have vibe pumps. Are you looking to plumb in or use a pour over reservoir only? These are important practical questions for you to consider.

Indeed, there are MANY E-61 HXs to choose from, so it can be overwhelming. If you provide more information about your expected usage pattern, routine, wants, needs, space etc., it might help you narrow down the choices -- and it will help people provide you with tailored advice. Oh... and, of course, your budget!

jjoel (original poster)

#4: Post by jjoel (original poster) »

Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

Budget - ~$1200 but I can make it stretch if convinced that the added value is significantly more for a couple hundred more dollars.

Size - Not really an issue. I mainly have the smaller machines listed because they're cheaper. We don't have a ton of counter space but we are tossing around the idea of a dedicated espresso bar in a different part of the house. I don't plan on plumbing the machine. I'm willing to deal with a drip tray and pouring water into the tank. If we went with the espresso bar idea it probably would never get plumbed... although I could put a big hole in that wall.... :shock: :twisted:

Usage - On a typical day I would probably make a latte for my wife and I every morning. On the weekend it might pull up to 2 additional shots if we want seconds with our breakfast. Fairly light usage. Occasionally (maybe once a year) I might be pouring a bunch for friends/family but that's the exception. We're hosting Christmas this year so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm making several every morning. I'm willing to deal with a slower recovery though since again it's the exception and not the rule of my normal usage.

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

I can only speak for the Jr, because that's the only one that I had.

For the Jr I really enjoyed the machine easy to use, made excellent micro foam very easily. Small footprint. I never encountered much of a recovery time because it take a little time to steam, knock, clean, grind, etc.

The cons, it was pretty loud. A nice bit of rattling, and if you are interested in 12 oz + of milk then it will take a long time. I steam like 5 oz of milk at a time and was not a problem, but if you are going large it will probably be a problem.

I got rid of it because my use was a lot like yours, a shot or two every day maybe a couple more on the weekend and as with all e61 machines the heat up time was just too much for me. So I sold it and got a Pavoni.

olddogTim

#6: Post by olddogTim »

Expobar Office lever plus look into it!
Getting old STINKS, but it's better than not getting old! Tim

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

Not sure whether you already made your choice, but is an E61 model a must for you?
Everyone will obviously have their say about machines they have experience with and I am no exception. There are HX machines out there with group heads different from an E61 but with no less potential for excellent espressos. I have a Bezzera BZ10 that has a smaller group head with a built-in preheating element. Despite the lesser thermal mass compared to an E61 GH, its shots are pretty consistent to my palate if I follow the same flush routine prior to each shot. If you want confirmation on temperature consistency from gauges, then an E61 plus Eric's thermometer accessory would be your thing. If you are willing to judge by taste only, there could be other options.
Bert