Scale For Weighing Shots During Extraction?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I'm interested in weighing my shots in real time, during extraction. I'd like to be able to stop (or draw out) shots by weight if i want, whereas currently i can only take final weight measurements after the shot is pulled. I know the stream is probably the best metric for determining when to cut off a shot, but I like to monitor as many variables as i can, nevertheless.

My current scale is accurate to .1g but it's the size of a CD jewel case, for those of us that remember what those are like. :roll: It's too big to sit on the drip tray for an extraction, it gets sprayed by the hot solenoid sneeze. I like it for weighing beans; I believe it can handle up to 10lbs (or some other greater-than-necessary weight), which is handy for weighing out batches pre- and post-roasting. For shots, though, I'd rather have something as small as possible, equally accurate but intended for lighter measurements, and either water-resistant or easily made so with plastic wrap or something.

What do other folks use? Do most people only weigh finished shots? Is plastic wrap the only way to go? Is there a good, cheap brand/model of scale for this application?

Thanks

russel

#2: Post by russel »

Are you using something other than an AWS SC-2KG? If you are using an SC-2KG and can find something slimmer, faster, more durable, and just better, I want in too...it's far from perfect.

Edit: and under $30 (SC-2KGs are around $18 usually)
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

kwantfm

#3: Post by kwantfm »

LMWDP #602

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Nearly any 0.1 gram scale will do the job; you just need to get one that fits the application. For weighing shots, I use one of the many 500 to 1000 gram limit jeweller/drug dealer scales sold on Ebay, e.g. They are around $10 and accident prone, but cheap enough to treat as supplies. Mine typically last around a year or two.

The main problem is that the sensors on these cheap scales, while accurate, are not fast enough to track the pour in real time. You will need learn how to anticipate the stopping point; but this is not very hard.
Jim Schulman

ufergus

#5: Post by ufergus »

I use a Triton T2. The flip lid slides off to make it the perfect shape to fit under the group head.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... riton%20t2
rich

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

I've been happy with several scales I've purchased from balances.com. No failures...good company to buy from.

Most have lifetime/30-year warranty...from about $30.

http://balance.balances.com/scales/853

No relation/incentive.
No Espresso = Depresso

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob »

ufergus wrote:I use a Triton T2. The flip lid slides off to make it the perfect shape to fit under the group head.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... riton%20t2
It also has a significantly faster update speed than any other cheap pocket scale I've used, including the newer Triton T3. The AWS-2KG is incredibly versatile as a single scale for all coffee brewing, but tedious for espresso by comparison. I use a Triton T2 for all coffee bean and espresso weighing, and a separate high capacity scale for non-espresso brewing.
Chris

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

Ok, cool, so it sounds like there's a lot of decent options but no ace-in-the-hole, across-the-board favorite. I'm currently using the AWS CD-1000 and it's really not great. Auto shut-off drives me nuts, it's slow, and it's too big for driptray usage. Admittedly the CD jewelcase form factor is what initially drew me in; I thought it would be cool to put the inlay from some favorite albums inside the lid. But of course I promptly set the lid aside and it disappeared, and that was that. Size-wise i would keep it around for roasting purposes as it accomodates (and can tare away) larger containers. But for shots....

The beurer sure looks snazzy. Triton T2 sounds like a solid choice. Do people add any kind of water protection? Plastic wrap? I was thinking maybe even a simple L-shaped flap of tin foil just to block the spray from the solenoid, but that would be an eye-sore. Or are hot droplets & vapor really not a concern?

Does everyone agree with Jim in terms of sensor/display reaction time, or does anyone have a scale they feel reacts almost instantaneously?

Gfcronus

#10: Post by Gfcronus »

SJM wrote:I use this one

http://www.escali.com/pico-high-capacity-pocket-scale

Works a charm.
One gram increments? No 0.1 gram?