La Spaziale Dream - Current Experiences?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
csepulv

#1: Post by csepulv »

Hello,

I am considering buying a S1 Dream T by La Spaziale. (I am also considering the Mini Vivaldi II or an E61 double boiler). I've been researching people's thoughts and experiences with the S1 Dream, here and on sites like s1cafe.com, but a lot of the posts are a bit dated.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and comments from those who have been using the S1 Dream machines. It would seem, from posts and conversations with Chris' Coffee, that many of the early issues and problems have been addressed. Does that match your experience?

Would you buy it again? Do you like the electronics? Would you go a different direction, knowing what you do now? Anything else to share?

FWIW, I have my own concerns about longevity of the electronics vs. the simpler E61 mechanics, misgivings about the 53mm grouphead, etc., though there are some discussions around these topics already.

Thanks
Chris

csepulv (original poster)

#2: Post by csepulv (original poster) »

Bueller, Bueller...Bueller?

(nothing but crickets :wink: )
Chris

monkeybongo

#3: Post by monkeybongo »

No problems for me, but if you already have concerns about the longevity of electronics then go with your gut. At this price range, you can't really go wrong with any machine. DB machines have a certain amount of electronics to set/read the PID boiler temperatures, i.e. the Rocket E61 R58 has a external electronic remote control which is just hidden away.

Manual levers are the way to go if you don't like electronics. Maybe share what type of drinks you're going to make, what grinder you'll be using, and any other specific requirements are.

goodboyr

#4: Post by goodboyr »

Well..........I was an early adopter of the first batch of Dream's. Leaks, temp sensor failures, flow meter failures.

So, my retailer replaced that machine with another from the first batch. That one lasted about 6 months, and then the electronics, and temperature sensor started acting up. Several attempts were made to replace components, (several temp sensors, electronics board), but nothing helped.

So, my retailer replaced that machine with a brand new "Version 2", Dream. (This is the one presently available at CCS, its got shinier steel panels and the boiler pressure gauge has been repositioned.)
I got this one in July 2013, and it has been running like a champ till this week. I probably run 1 or 2 espressos and 2 or 3 milk based drinks per day. I've got the timer set to have it on all day and off at night. I keep it very clean, etc.
This week, the temperature sensor (its always the brew boiler one that is problematic) started acting up again. Not sure if its the sensor or the electronics of course. I took it back to my retailer for service since its still under warranty.

I note that CCS now stocks spare temperature sensors on its online site.

Thats my story.

When it works, its a wonderful machine. Very consistent, huge amounts of steam, fabulous reliable results......

But.................

CSME9

#5: Post by CSME9 »

Purchased the Mini V 2 last year, 1st machine had water leaks near water tank assembly area, 2d machine developed water leaks near the OPV copper tubing along with a knocking sound that couldnt be fixed remotely, 3d machine was fully bench tested and shipped, appeared to work well for about 4 days when it also started to leak water and the steam boiler pressure would max out and couldnt be used. Vendor found metal shavings in the solenoid. My friend also ordered a Mini and it had water leak issues on day one, copper line was completely unscrewed from the boiler.

The limited times i used the machine it is a powerful steamer, made a good shot but my E61's shots taste better. I didnt like that i couldnt access the water tank without removing the drip tray and snapping it back into place.

CoffeeMac

#6: Post by CoffeeMac »

I purchased an S1 Vivaldi II about 3 years ago. It has run like a champ from day one, no issues at all. Only just had to replace the group gasket; other than that no issues at all.

It replaced a ECM Giotto E61 machine, which had many issues such as numerous pressure stat replacements.

I can't comment on the taste difference between the two, but I have to say the two things I like best about the Vivaldi II are (a) plumbed-in water and drain, (b) volumetric shot cutoff. Makes life in the morning that much easier...
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

csepulv (original poster)

#7: Post by csepulv (original poster) »

Thanks to all for your replies.

Sorry, I should have been more specific on my comment about electronics. I accept there will be some electronics and possible risks, as I am considering PID e61's or the Mini Vivaldi. But the Dream has the touchscreen and I figure once you have something that might need a firmware update you getting into a whole new source of possible issues.

My interest in the Dream over the Mini is that the Mini has only two volume settings and no manual start/stop. While you can set a longer shot and then cut it off, I would lose that button's setting. This might not be a real issue in a practical sense though.

In answer to what kind of drinks, etc. I mostly drink just espresso and probably could get away with a single boiler machine, though I know myself and I will prefer having the "extra capability". Plus it seems like there are a lot of happy Mini owners out there.

For a grinder, I am debating between a Mazzer Mini or Baratza Vario -- counter space and grinder size are a big issue for me.
Chris