Rossi RR45 and other grinders

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bob_Coffee

#1: Post by Bob_Coffee »

Hi

I am on the hunt for a coffee grinder.

I have an opportunity to buy a Rossi RR45 grinder for about $220.00.
I am not sure if this will be a good purchase. :/ Apparently Rossi is off the market?

The grinder had been used in a fast food restaurant for 5 years. They are upgrading their coffee setup and require a bigger grinder.

If I do buy the Rossi RR45 grinder, are there any compatible parts for the grinder or should I rather avoid the purchase and look for something else around $400.00 (second hand/refurbished)?

I am really keen on the Mazzer Super Jolly or Compak K6, but how to they compare?
Are there any grinders I should avoid like the plague?

How about these http://coffeeroasters.en.made-in-china. ... inder.html ?

Thanks,
H

MinistryofEspresso

#2: Post by MinistryofEspresso »

Parts are still widely available for a Rossi grinders, which are often badged as Nuova Simonelli. However, the build quality of both Mazzer SJ and Compak K6 are significantly better. The grind quality of both those grinder are also much better than what you will be able to get from a RR45. Furthermore, Mazzer and Compak grinders have stepless adjustment for grind settings. I would even buy a new Baratza Preciso before buying a used RR45.

Bob_Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Bob_Coffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick response.
This answers my question.

Kind regards,
H

Bob_Coffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Bob_Coffee (original poster) »

So I got the Rossi RR45. Probably not state of the art, but it was affordable and there seems to be enough parts available on my side of the world. :)

WOW!!! What a difference in taste!
Espresso just moved to a new dimension. :D