Rocky grinder + Elektra Semiautomatica/Bezzera BZ10?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TM

#1: Post by TM »

I'm considering upgrading from Silvia to either an Elektra Semi or a Bezzera BZ10 (or BZ07). I've read Jim Schulman's very positive review of the Semi and his almost equally positive experiences with the BZ07/BZ10. It is my understanding that he strongly advocates low doses (in the 14 g range for doubles) for these machines.

Therefore something struck me when I just re-read the part of the Titan Grinder Project thread (page 5) where Schulman to his great surprise finds that the Rancilio Rocky somehow outmatches the Robur when comparing 13,5 g shots (but not at all when the doses were higher): Does that mean that the Rocky - in a very strange sort of way - is the somewhat ideal grinder in combination with the Semi and/or BZ10? Or am I interpreting these seemingly corresponding figures totally wrong?

I own a Rocky and was - until today - strongly considering upgrading to HG One or Pharos. Now I'm suddenly not so sure anymore.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Unless you were thinking about trying for a package deal (machine + grinder = discount), then just get the machine on its own and see how you do with the Rocky.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

I have long held a suspicion about the "Rocky". (It is mostly based on my experience with one, and things I have heard others say about them.) Some people seem to swear by them, others at them!

My suspicion is that some of these machines that are "lemons", and other "jewels". The basic mechanism is robust and is that of the commercial analogue. If yours be a "jewel" that is great! Mine has never given any problems, and I have used it daily for two years. (The only thing I do with mine that I have never heard any one else describe is that I apply camera lens grease to the adjustment threads each time I clean it.) Particle size as examined with a metallurgical microscope is quite uniform.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

If you stick to fine grinds and the lower end of the dosing range for the baskets you are using; you may be fine.

The limit is to avoid contact with the shower screen, which the group design used in these machines (more or less identical in both) do not like. This does allow you to do higher dosed shots, coarser ground shots on both machines (up to about 18 grams n a regular double, or more using deeper baskets). In my experience, the Rocky did poorly at these levels.

Fine grinds are good for lightly roasted acidic coffees, especially those from East Africa; but usually less so for mellower roasts or origins. If you mainly go with coffees that use a fine grind; you may still get a lot of mileage out of your Rocky.
Jim Schulman

TM (original poster)

#5: Post by TM (original poster) »

Thank you for your fine answers. I no longer have an excuse for not buying the HG One as I would grind coarser and dose higher than 14 g in most cases. Thank you for that :D.