Rocket Giotto Evoluzione or Bezzera Strega

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zalo

#1: Post by zalo »

Hi everyone

I am a newbie here and would like to get some advice. I have read a lot about both machines and need some final advice to help me decide. I know these are quite different machines but I started comparing them as because the fall between the same budget range and both appeal to me in their own ways. The Rocket has a great reputation and I have personally tried shots that tasted great. The Bezzera is an unknown but reviews seem very good. I have compared most of the pros and cons and I am largely down choosing the one with the better taste, and is more forgiving to a novice.

What would be the difference in taste between the 2 machines? I usually drink espressos in the morning and milk-based drinks at night. I like also don't like sour or overly bitter coffee. Which machine would work better for my taste profile?

Another nice to have is quick startup - what is the minimum time needed for both to be ready for operations? Related question is which machine will be more forgiving? I usually don't wake up early enough to try a few shots until I get it right.

Would appreciate advice from the experts on these forum, especially those who had tried both machines!

javacrazed
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by javacrazed »

I have a rocket cellini which is pretty much the same as the Giotto. I have the plumbed in verison that is connect to water softener and filter system. I have had it two plus years now and love it. What I have learned is this about machines and coffee. If I was buying now I would get a Dual boiler machine with a PID. The PID will allow you to set the water temp to exactly the right temp your specific bean needs to get the right favors, but also allow for proper steam temp. I would only use freshly roasted beans or get a home roaster and do yourself, or just find a local roaster that will roast for you. Beans should be no more than a few days roasted, the fresher the better. I would invest in a doserless grinder that cleans up easy. It's a must to keep your grinder, and espresso maker very clean at all times. Then I would learn how to properly grind, tamp, and brew your espresso, and froth milk. Work on your technique and hone your basita skills. "Remember it's not the fiddle but the fiddlers". Everything else is "White Noise" my fellow coffee geek! Cheers

javacrazed
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by javacrazed »

Oh and it takes the rocket about 45 - 1 hr to warm up so if you choose a machine that does not have a timer which most do not, get a commerical timer and set it to start an hour before you want your first pull. Temp for most espresso should be 201-203 degrees.

C6H8O3

#4: Post by C6H8O3 »

I'll give another vote for the Rocket. I really enjoy mine and it is a very fine machine. :D I agree with the above posters, my shots started tasting better when I focused on my grind, distribution, and tamping. Adding a naked portafilter really helped me learn about my shots and I was able to improve the taste immediately because of the feedback the naked portafilter gave me.

The Rocket is built extremely well. Very, very good components and layout inside, and a very nice, boutique feel overall.

I'm a noobie too, but I am glad I sprung for the Rocket right out of the gate.
LMWDP 702

Link

#5: Post by Link »

I'll preface my 2 cents with this, the Rocket is my first machine & I've got a long way to go. But I've managed to get a few good shots. My compak touch grinder should be here today & I think that will greatly improve my abilty to get good tasting espresso. I did not listen to advice I got on this forum about grinders & started out with a $250.00 POS. If your going spend $1800.00 on a machine figure another $600.00 for a grinder.

I just bought a Rocket Cellini 2 & my machine takes less then 10 minutes to reach the 1 bar mark I wait another 10 minutes & it brews & steams great. If the machines been idle for 45 minutes or more I give it a nice long cooling flush & so far so good. I've been told they are a "very forgiving" machine which for me is perfect. The machine seems very well built I'm real happy with it. IMO both those machines you want will produce almost identical tasting espresso, the taste will come down to the grinder, you & the beans.

nixter

#6: Post by nixter »

I've had my Giotto Evo for a couple years now and I love it. Beautiful machine to look at. I have it outfitted with Erics' thermometer which takes and guesswork out of temperature flushing. I really only have two issues. 1) The vibration of the pump tends to cause my ceramic cups to slide around on the drip tray, sometimes enough to move out from under the espresso stream. 2) After 2 years with this machine I still cannot get perfectly steamed milk easily. I've watched a zillion videos, tried different pitchers, different tips, etc. Can't do it. I've tried other machines and had much better results immediately. The only thing I haven't tried is adjusting the boiler sensor height. Maybe playing with that will help. Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad and none of my guests would ever know anything wasn't up to par but I have set myself a high standard for steamed milk. I want that perfect velvet with bubbles so small they are undetectable.

spiffdude

#7: Post by spiffdude »

Had my Rocket for two years and its been great so far. No problems or malfunctions. Plus i think it has killer looks. It's been plumbed in for the last year which is even better. Been running it 24 hours since Christmas.

I've had pretty good luck with steaming as opposed to Nixter's experience. I can pull off nice, crisp latte art on a regular basis. I would say the milk plays a big role. We have one brand over here that just doesn't seem to like the steamer...

Anyways, what matters is that when used right, it makes great espresso effortlessly and seems to be dependable.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

zalo (original poster)

#8: Post by zalo (original poster) »

This forum is amazing and I am already loving it. I posted before I slept last night and by the morning, I already have 5 responses!

The advice on the different steps to work on is very useful. Been lurking for 6 months and the need to develop my skills is already deeply ingrained. Although I am a newbie, I decided to move to a semi-commercial machine from the start because I know I will be hit by upgraditis in no time. First step is to get that upfront decision out of the way. For grinder (which I focus on first as it is more important), I have decided on the baratza vario after reading numerous reviews.

From what I have read, the taste that the machines can produce given somewhat competent barista are both very good. The one point of differentiation for the Strega that excites me is that it can do S/O well and consistently generate a "harmonious taste" which takes out the extremes. The theory is that the decline in pressure towards the end helps to achieve it. Any experience?

Interesting point on dual boiler but given my budget, I can only afford the Expobar Leva. Would that still be better than the giotto or strega?

ECM

#9: Post by ECM »

I hae a much older Giotto Premium 2003 whic is still running beautifully. The only item that was replaced was the P stat ...... after 9 years of on and off who could blame it. Having said that my unit was made by ECM which no longer does Giottos or Rockets.

Rob

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I don't have a Rocket but I do have a machine with an E61 group and found it harder to learn than my lever machines. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot. I also don't have a Strega but I recently found my commercial lever much easier than my home levers. Puck preparation has been more forgiving with my lever machines. Others may have found E61 pump machines easier to learn.

To get the comparative take on the Strega I'm guessing you've seen the thread where another_jim puts it through its paces:

Bezzera Strega - Second Look
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!