Roaster Recommendations

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Hazard

#1: Post by Hazard »

Hi

I am new to roasting and i want to start with a good roasting machine. I roast at home using popcorn machine and overstove.i want to upgrade and I find The 1kg North Coffee Roaster (TJ-067) and i like it. they add a new double walled drum which is better but I didn't find any review about the new modification.

I want to ask if any body used it and Whither the new modification improves the machine or not?

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

Steve said it makes roasting lighter easier from what I recall.

JK

#3: Post by JK »

You will have to ask Steve and get his opinion, I think..
Not many users would have access to a solid and double wall drum to test both.. At this early point only Steve could give an opinion I would guess..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

johnny4lsu

#4: Post by johnny4lsu »

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I would trust that if it's an upgrade it's worthwhile. I love my older TJ-067 that may be the only gas one with a perforated drum. If I'm not mistaken some commercial roasters - Probats maybe? - have double-walled drums. Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland specializes in lighter roasts and had a Probat in the cafe for a long time.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Svilen

#6: Post by Svilen »

You have not mentioned if you are planning to buy electric or gas one? What do you, guys, think is a better option? Purely in terms of the coffee quality

Hazard (original poster)

#7: Post by Hazard (original poster) »

johnny4lsu wrote:Steve said it makes roasting lighter easier from what I recall.

Yes, this what I understand the benefit of double wall drum .

Hazard (original poster)

#8: Post by Hazard (original poster) »

Hazard (original poster)

#9: Post by Hazard (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I would trust that if it's an upgrade it's worthwhile. I love my older TJ-067 that may be the only gas one with a perforated drum. If I'm not mistaken some commercial roasters - Probats maybe? - have double-walled drums. Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland specializes in lighter roasts and had a Probat in the cafe for a long time.
I think you read my mind i am looking for roaster with same concept as probats where it have high heat capacity and can achieve a light roast. But the price for the 1kg for probat is too much for me to start with.

Perforated drum for gas roaster .!.! Its fist time i haired of such configuration.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Hazard wrote:Perforated drum for gas roaster .!.! Its fist time i haired of such configuration.
Henry Chang suggested it. He turned me and others onto the promise of affordable gas roasters when he showed us his Mini 500 roaster. People with those roasters win competitions. They had started offering the Mini 500 with a perforated drum. Huky roasters are also available with a perforated drum. Mine works fine and is capable of producing commercial quality results from light through dark roasts.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!