Responsive scale for use while extracting espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JavaRanger

#1: Post by JavaRanger »

So I have a scale that I have used to weight my dose, but I have a forte, so I usually just grind into the basket. My problem is if I use that scale to weight liquid grams while extracting by the time in have 0.7 oz the cup...the scale still says 0.0 Grams. :(

Can anyone recommend a good scale with a quick response time?

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

I've seen a lot of recommendations for an American Weigh Scales unit. I don't know the model, but I'm sure someone else can provide it.

I guess we all have our own way of doing things. I don't weigh my shots as they're extracting, but rather tare the cup, pull the shot and then weigh the output after all is said and done. If you're dosing and extracting consistently, then this method will work fine. Plus, you won't be tempted to stop the extraction early because you've achieved your desired weight or over-extract because you haven't. Rather, you'll pull the shot until it's blonding point...and then figure out what that weighs and adjust dose and grind by taste.
LMWDP #748

Advertisement
Desmo490

#3: Post by Desmo490 »

AWS SC-2kg. Works pretty well for me....and under $20.

neutro

#4: Post by neutro »

Yeah, the AWS SC-2KG and AWS SC-2KG-A (which includes a DC adapter) seemed to be the consensus in this similar thread.

In the meantime I got mine and I'm pretty happy with it. It's large enough and has enough capacity to weigh in the portafilter. It doesn't auto-turn-off after seconds (I think the AWS SC-2KG has an auto-off of 90 seconds while the AWS SC-2KG-A doesn't auto-turn-off).

caddderly

#5: Post by caddderly »

Acaia scale is very quick. Pricey, but I'm enjoying it so far. Not sure if the app is all that helpful for espresso.