Replacement grinder for Baratza Vario, budget < $1000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
spaz

#1: Post by spaz »

Hi folks,

Been a while since I posted on here. Miss Silvia (w/Auber PID) is still running like a champ with regular upkeep and at the hands of the now-skilled-user. However, the Baratza Vario is another story. Between the shims required right out of the box, multiple belt adjustments, clogging, and now a new problem to diagnose and solve? I've had it.

Would very much appreciate your opinions on a replacement that fits these needs:
1. Use: Espresso primarily, occasional French Press
2. Predictable and consistent grind
3. Proven quality, I do not want to spend any more time as a coffee grinder engineer.
4. Size: Prefer it to be counter-top, under cabinet height

Price? I'd prefer to stay under $1000. Mazzer Mini Doserless is the unit I've been considering for some time, BUT, I have no input or experience to create an alternative.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! BTW. the Vario is going to go on Ebay for yard sale prices... if anyone wants to make an offer, please PM me.

Best,
SPaz

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Too bad you have been having so much trouble with your Vario. Mine has been nothing but reliable for several years now. If you are switching back and forth however, that could be part of the problem.
1. Use: Espresso primarily, occasional French Press
This is a problem. A quality espresso grinder isn't going to do french press also, at least not with a crazy amount of adjustment. Plan on getting a dedicated espresso grinder, and a dedicated french press (hand grinder maybe?) within your budget.

The mini is a step down taste wise from the Vario, so you might end up being disappointed going down that road. It is unquestionable better built, but if there is no improvement in the cup, why bother?

Sounds like your best bet would be to find a used Super Jolly - equal in the cup to Vario, put some new burrs in there, and buy a grinder dedicated to french press with whatever you have leftover. Virtuoso if you are not manual inclined, or Lido 2 or 3 if you are.

Just my 2 cents, best of luck with your search. Sounds like someone will score a nice used Vario if you are selling it for super cheap.

P.S. Consider buying the metal brew burrs for your Vario for french press/drip, and then just buy the espresso grinder you want.

Advertisement
BillRedding

#3: Post by BillRedding »

spaz,

Some say the Quamar M80e compares very favorably with the Mazzer Mini Electronic Type A (even SOUNDS like it) -- and costs a whole lot LESS...so check that one out for sure.

Another grinder brand that seems to have a good C-V ratio (Cost-to-Value) is Ceado.

BOTH Quamar and Ceado are MUCH better built (more solid/durable for the long-haul) than any Baratza, and BOTH are Made in Italy.

Good luck,

-- BR

spaz (original poster)

#4: Post by spaz (original poster) »

Max and Bill, thank you for the responses.

So let's ignore the French Press then as I hardly ever make them when I am at home. It's a good idea though to replace the burrs on the Vario and use it for French Press. Might do that and take it up to the work apartment for use there. I've heard the "buy a used Super Jolly" party line on here plenty, no offense, but I really can't go that route. I would like to discuss new, competitive replacements for the Vario at similar or slightly higher price points with better mechanical reliability.

So on a running list right now I'm seeing:
1. Mazzer Mini Doserless
2. Quamar M80E v2
3. Ceado E6P

Will do some research, so far like what I am seeing with the M80E.

More input and thought appreciated!

Best,
SPaz

BillRedding

#5: Post by BillRedding »

spaz,

You're welcome...

RE: the Mazzer Mini:

Some people here will tell you the Mazzer Mini is "obsolete & over-rated" -- and "overpriced" as well, and that other grinders available today for the same $$ outperform it...so they wouldn't recommend you get a Mazzer Mini.

But for those people who got one anyway (such as Yours Truly) and if it happens to be one of the current 64mm burrs Mini, then a "mod" possible is putting Super Jolly burrs in the Mini and then have a "SJ Mini," if you will.

Please note that the 64mm OEM SJ burrs have a more aggressive cut-pattern than the 64mm Mini's OEM burrs so there MAY be a bit more strain on the Mini's smaller-wattage motor...but I don't know for sure, it's just a consideration people note and mention it only FYI...

In my case, however, I see no reason to "mod" my Mini so I'm keeping the OEM Mini burrs.

Sorry...I can't tell you anything much re: your other more specific questions as I am just a newbie! Will leave all that to others here.

Good luck,

-- BR

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

HG one.

However, you should first decide if you prefer flat or conical burrs with the coffees that you drink and your tastes.

(I haven't decided myself - I thought I preferred big conicals, but I was using a Nuova Simonelli Eureka last weekend at a barista course, and had shots from the Mythos Clima Pro, and I was impressed - at least when using a pump machine.)

As for the Vario - once I put the Ditting steel burrs in mine, I found the taste of drip coffee astonishingly better with the Vario than any of my hand grinders. (Before switching, the Lido2 was my 'go-to' for drip.)

YMMV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JDolezal

#7: Post by JDolezal »

If it's mostly build quality / reliability issues you're concerned about, have you considered the Forte?

Advertisement
canuckcoffeeguy

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I've not used the following grinders, so others would have to comment. But all three are under $1,000. And all three are 64mm flats.

Compak K6
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Compak ... -p3034.htm
Ceado E7
http://www.wholelattelove.com/products/ ... ic-grinder
Anfim Caimano
http://www.chriscoffee.com/Anfim-Caimano-p/anf-c.htm

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

To Ryan's list, if you want a "doserless" on-demand style grinder, add the Casadio Enea ($1050 at Chris). Casadio is owned by Cimbali and seems to be its new grinder arm. I haven't tried it, but hear from people I trust that it's well built, extremely user friendly, very good in the cup, and a pleasure to use.

The Ceado E6 series (three models) appears to be an effort to make the E7 a little less commercial, less expensive and more home friendly. I haven't tried them, but worth further investigation.

I've tried the Ceado E7, Compak K6, Mazzer SJ, and (the previous generation) Quamar M80 and M80E, and thought they were all about the same in the cup, but that the E7 was the nicest to use of that particular bunch.

But... Time Marches On. The v1 Quamars were cheap but sloppy and noisy; supposedly v2 has addressed slop and noise, they're easier to live with and still just as cheap. They're also short and should fit beneath your overhead cabinets without modification.

If you can live with its various idiosyncrasies and inconveniences, the HG One puts a lot of quality in the cup for $1K.

If you're not already totally crisped when it comes to Baratzas, the Baratza Forte checks all your boxes.

Finally, don't bother with a Mini E. Once the top of the home-barista food chain, it's time passed awhile ago and it's now a grinder people upgrade from rather than to. Slow, obsolete and clumpy as all hell.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

spaz (original poster)

#10: Post by spaz (original poster) »

JDolezal wrote:If it's mostly build quality / reliability issues you're concerned about, have you considered the Forte?
Not considering Baratza since I have already had to many problems. However, I would be arrogant to NOT admit that, since this was my first grinder in my home espresso adventure, it is possible that user error is to blame for the slipping belt adjustments and possible burr damage.