Reg Barber Tamper - Wood or Aluminum Handle

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
richorr

#1: Post by richorr »

Yes, I realize that there is a deep personal preference involved here but I am stuck between the wood and aluminum handle for a Reg Barber tall tamper. Any pro's, con's for folks that have tried them out? Is there a weight difference or ergonomic advantage of either?

roxtc

#2: Post by roxtc »

I think it's really a matter of preference and I think most people would agree it won't make or break your coffee. I do personally enjoy wood. I think it's a better grip, it's never cold, weight feels better to me, and because wood is always unique, it's personalized so you always know this one is "yours".

Gaius

#3: Post by Gaius »

Exactly like Jason said.

I recently decided on titan flat base with sharp edges and exotic cocobolo wood and i set my mind to be using this tamper for couple of years.
I think with wooden handle the tamper might feel more balanced but again it is just a matter of preference... The only "bad" thing that cross my mind is that wood would eventually have a shorter life..

kmw

#4: Post by kmw »

Do people wax/oil the wooden handles? Or are they coated in varnish or something similar where it's not needed?

I'm guessing there's not as much wear as a cutting board or knife, but would it prolong the life of the tamper?

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

Gaius wrote:The only "bad" thing that cross my mind is that wood would eventually have a shorter life..
Maybe shorter but not a short life. My home Reg over a decade old Reg at our busy Downtown coffeehouse 8 years old Reg at the Roastery coffee bar 6 years old, all with standard Bubinga wood handles all excellent condition.
Mike McGinness

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

All Reg Barber tampers I've seen out and about just look like they hold up super well. The handle of the EPNW tamper I use is super beat up, and it's not even a year old, it's just bare wood though, no coating.

russel

#7: Post by russel »

I think I've had about 10 RB tampers (they're often higher end coffee related schwag), and I have found that I like the powder coated handles the most. The bare aluminum just feels like aluminum, and the wood is honestly not as nice as Dave's work. The powder coat is super smooth but not cold like metal. Just my RB preference at the moment.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com