Recommended inexpensive scale for weighing coffee? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
HB
Admin

#31: Post by HB »

Yes.
Dan Kehn

Endo

#32: Post by Endo »

Got mine for $12. Bought online and arrived in 1 week from Hong Kong. Works great. The company seemed very eager to please:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1165
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

sweaner

#33: Post by sweaner replying to Endo »

The only problem with that one is the 100g capacity. However, I have a similar one from Deal Extreme that has a 1000g capacity. It works great and takes AAA batteries.
Scott
LMWDP #248

GC7

#34: Post by GC7 »

I recently purchased an inexpensive digital coin scale for $8.99 plus shipping from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/ZX-600-Digital-Po ... 564&sr=8-2

It has 0.1 gm sensitivity and has worked flawlessly so far. I used it to accurately calibrate my touch feature on the Compak K3 grinder so I have a good idea of dosing that way. I also check the dosing every so often and when changing beans so I keep that variable well controlled.

THe above scale is not for weighing the whole portafilter but I have not found that necessary.

howard seth

#35: Post by howard seth »

Yeah, I got a $10 digital "pocket scale" type, like those mentioned above - about 4 months ago. The thing arrived directly from Taiwan. (or Hong Kong) Works great, highly sensitive. I was somewhat surprised that it is so good, for so little. The digital revolution continues.

I use a tall plastic container to put the beans in first than weigh it (adding the containers weight to the total.)

Howard
Howie

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by JohnB. »

I picked up one of these last spring & its still working well on the original batteries.
http://yhst-54086688290696.stores.yahoo ... 60002.html
LMWDP 267

Endo

#37: Post by Endo »

Sorry, I sent the wrong link above. I actually bought the 1000g scale as well. I edited and corrected my link. And like you said, it works great!
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

trentwebb

#38: Post by trentwebb »

I bought the 1000g scale from dealextreme, but I am confused to how you all are using it. When I put my portafilter on it I get an error code which I believe is due to an overload of weight. Am I not using the Tare feature correctly? I would hate to have to grind directly onto a piece of paper on the scale to get the correct grams. Thanks!

ddr

#39: Post by ddr »

On mine (the Centech 500g) I turn it on, wait for it to read 0g, then put the basket on and hit tare.

I think if the object you are weighing into is light enough you can just pop it on and then turn on the scale (my basket is only 23g, this is light enough) but heavier items, like the small plate I use to weigh food on, are too heavy to place on the scale before turning on the power.

I do not know how much a PF weighs, but if it is over 1000g (2.2 pounds) then it is too heavy to use.
Dan
LMWDP #242

GC7

#40: Post by GC7 »

I'd like to repeat the suggestion that any scale you purchase use AAA batteries.

The one I referenced above uses coin batteries and the ones that came with the unit lasted a couple of months. I thought perhaps they were older when I received the unit so I purchased replacements at $7. They lasted only a couple of months as well so these backlit scales can burn batteries if you use them frequently.

I just purchased the touch screen unit Dan referred to above and rechargable AAA batteries will make this scale a more reasonable and solution.