Recommendation: Espresso Machine & Grinder Set, Budget ~$2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dre

#1: Post by dre »

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for a while to look for advice on a grinder and espresso machine, and I figured it would be best to have a "personal" advice considering my needs.

I currently own a mokita (cafe creme) machine and a grinder without name, I am looking to update my equipment even though they still function well enough. Hoping to reduce the waiting for the machine to warm/cooldown to prepare my drinks.

As mentioned in my title I have a budget of roughly 2,000$ for a grinder (doserless) and espresso machine (preferably heat exchange or double boiler).

Criteria:
- reliability
- efficiency (not sure the difference between a double boiler and a heat exchange)

Use:
- roughly 1-2 latte a day (same time) and occasionally 4-6 drinks at the same time when I have invites.

Currently in my budget, I have been considering the BZ10 or the BDB paired with the Vario.

BZ10: I like that it is compact and based on the company I believe it is/will be durable (might be wrong) but concerned that it may be too complex (i.e. how many bar pressure I should put... 9bar pressure vs 12...)
BDB: I like all the features but concerned about the durability.

Please provide your inputs.
Should I consider other machines/combination, let me know as well.

Many thanks!

Advertisement
sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

BDB + Vario should make a great setup. Consider an HG One if you can swing it.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Crispy

#3: Post by Crispy »

You might consider the Quamar m80e as an alternative to the Vario.

doublehelix

#4: Post by doublehelix »

Ditto on all of the above--I use a BDB with a Vario, or QM80E---easy, great espresso.....

dre (original poster)

#5: Post by dre (original poster) »

ThanksI looked into the QM80E and I am now considering it over the vario.
Based on this I assume that the 60 steps are enough for the espresso machine I decide to purchase but would it work for drip coffee every now and then?

I see a lot of that a lot of people recommend the BDB over the BZ10, is it due to all the features?

Nick Name

#6: Post by Nick Name replying to dre »

For longevity I'd go for Bezzera any given day. Apart from that, BDB will give you great coffee...
If you want to use your machine for +10 years, Bezzera is better, but if that is not important to you, BDB will give you plenty for the money...

I've had a Quamar for close to a year now. It is a great performer for the money. The pad button issue is often mentioned in discussions, but it will not be a problem once you get the hang of it (which will happen in a few weeks).

I'd never use the same grinder for drip/espresso coffee. It'd be too much of a hassle. Try it, then you'll know. :wink:

dre (original poster)

#7: Post by dre (original poster) »

thanks all, I have decided to get the quamar m80e, now the only issue is to find it in Montreal.

Also, while reading reviews I have also considered the Expobar Office Lever vs the Bezzera BZ10, so if you have any inputs regarding those machines, fell free to share.

longevity
performance (steamer on OL one hole, is it really slow to steam milk)
e61 vs vs not

Advertisement
DeGaulle

#8: Post by DeGaulle »

The 1 hole tip will make a slow steamer, but a 2-hole should be available for the OL. Since the OL features an E61 grouphead with more brass to heat up, expect a somewhat longer heat-up time (30 minutes vs 20 for the BZ10 are often quoted as the minimum). Both should be very capable machines at HX entry price level. The E61 with preinfusion chamber is said to provide a bit more body in the cup, but I haven't done side by side taste tests, perhaps others have.
Temperature control is very forgiving on the BZ10; and I like the ease of removing the GH if you want to change the gasket.
Bert

dre (original poster)

#9: Post by dre (original poster) »

That brings up a few questions (sorry I am new and would love to learn/understand more):

- Is the OL powerful enough to have a 2 hole wand?

- About the heat-up time (30min vs 20min) are you saying that every morning I would need to wait 30 or 20 mins before I can brew a shot of espresso and steam my milk? Like I said I currently have a SBDU and it only a few minutes before i can brew my shot (I might be doing it wrong too)

- Regarding the above, WLL, they show the following information, do i understand correctly?
Initial Heat Up (Seconds): 420 --> time it takes once machine turned before you can brew a shot?
Recommended Heat Up Time (Seconds): 900 --> recommended time it takes once machine turned before you can brew a shot?
Time To Steam 8 Oz Milk (Seconds): 9 --> time to steam milk for latte/cappuccino?

Again thanks for your help

Gig103

#10: Post by Gig103 »

Dre,

Regarding the time, there is a difference between when the steam boiler is at temperature, and when the rest of the machine is heated up - and each cold piece of metal saps heat from your water. But the easy fix is a wall timer.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the machines you are considering but I do love my E61 Quick Mill, and like the availability of parts and all the information on the Internet for taking care of it.