Ready to order Mazzer Mini. Better choice with $600 budget? - Page 6

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bob_M

#51: Post by Bob_M »

cmin wrote:Not a good idea and asking for issues/trouble,
I wholeheartedly agree.

Rulebreaker (original poster)

#52: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:I'm just glad your going in the right direction! I'm very interested to hear if the Vario is better than the SG (I hope you give us some input). Big trouble is great, my local health food store sells it fresh at a price that is hard to beat, it's very similar to Red Bird in flavor and forgiveness (IMO). I think it's amazing how CC works with Big Trouble, it's always consistently enjoyable even though it's changing frequently.

Also, the Kalita is a great Brewer, any kind of pour over device just blows a French press away IMO.
Sure will. Update here?
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

Advertisement

#53: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

Bob_M wrote:I wholeheartedly agree.
Seems to be the consensus. So whats the correct adhustment method on The Vario? A macro adjustment that stays put and micro adjustments for different beans/freshness/roasts?

Bob_M

#54: Post by Bob_M »

When I was using a Vario for espresso, I believe I started with fine adjustment in the middle. I dialed in using the principles set forth in this thread by Jim Schulman. Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
Get the grinder in the ballpark with coarse adjustments and fine tune with fine. The subsequent adjustments will no doubt require use of both fine and coarse depending on circumstances.

LukeFlynn

#55: Post by LukeFlynn »

Rulebreaker wrote:Sure will. Update here?
It might be better for informational value to start a new thread, but I don't think it really matters. I'm going to read it either way!

cmin

#56: Post by cmin »

Rulebreaker wrote:Seems to be the consensus. So whats the correct adhustment method on The Vario? A macro adjustment that stays put and micro adjustments for different beans/freshness/roasts?
I'm not sure if your asking for espresso or both. I have my Vario dialed in for 3 Macro, and micro for whatever when dialing in depending on blend or single origin, roast, dose etc. When you get it you can calibrate it, it's easy to do and instructions come with it.

Don't use the Vario for espresso and brew or your asking for trouble ;) . Best left to one use or the other only.

#57: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:It might be better for informational value to start a new thread, but I don't think it really matters. I'm going to read it either way!
New thread makes sense. Grinder comparison. Stay tuned, haha.

Advertisement

#58: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

cmin wrote:I'm not sure if your asking for espresso or both. I have my Vario dialed in for 3 Macro, and micro for whatever when dialing in depending on blend or single origin, roast, dose etc. When you get it you can calibrate it, it's easy to do and instructions come with it.

Don't use the Vario for espresso and brew or your asking for trouble ;) . Best left to one use or the other only.
Espresso only. Macro stays put, micro for dialing in just as you described.

LukeFlynn

#59: Post by LukeFlynn »

I was amazed when I popped in my burrs today.. I perhaps just made the best espresso on my BDB since purchase. These new burrs are no lie, my shots are more syrupy than ever.. and there is no hashy, sour undertaste, just the pure bliss that is espresso.

#60: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

I am jealous, just want I want. I hope the Vario lives up to its potential. In regards to a better espresso, i have a $25 gift certificate. Particular to the BDB, what do you think the best use would be? I am thinking the bottomless PF. Thoughts?