Rancilio Rocky upgrade to Baratza Vario or Preciso?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cygnusx1

#1: Post by cygnusx1 »

I grind mostly for drip and pour-over during the week but pull shots on the weekends. I currently have a Rocky doserless. It works well for but it has its limitations so I'm looking at replacing it with another that can cover the grind range from espresso to FP and not retain grinds within the machine like the Rocky does. I was looking at either the Baratza Vario or Preciso. Or similar price point grinders. The Preciso seems like it has a better range coverage. The budget doesn't allow for 2 grinders so I need an all purpose. Just looking for some input and advice. Thanks.

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Preciso is great for pour-over -- in fact, Virtuouso is good enough -- but marginal for espresso because it doesn't allow enough control down at the fine end. On the other hand, the Preciso might be a good match with the Gaggia Baby -- which is hardly the last word in nuanced extraction. I can't say though as I've never tried the combination.

On the other hand, the Vario is in the "pretty good" range of espresso grinders and can handle a much better machine than the one you're using now, so not only will it probably make a positive difference it should give you some future upgrade room when and if you're ready for a new espresso machine.

If you're using multiple grind settings -- and one of them is espresso -- two grinders really are a lot better than one. Since an old Rocky isn't worth much, it doesn't seem likely you'll be selling it to finance the new grinder. But if you really need to keep the grinder population down to unity, the Vario should be the unit.

Assuming two's company, money clearly being in issue, AND if you're happy with the Rocky for espresso you may want to keep it for that and add a Virtuoso or an even less-expensive Breville Smart for pour-over.

However, given your starting point and maximum budget, you'd probably do better keeping the Rocky for pour-over and going with the Vario for espresso.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

jerbear00

#3: Post by jerbear00 »

I started with the vario then moved to a compak for espresso. I bought the ditting burrs for my vario and now believe the combo to be rather superb.

takeshi

#4: Post by takeshi »

I was pretty happy with the Rocky for drip. Never used for pour over. If space allows and you're happy with the Rocky in those roles you might want to give that a shot and focus on finding an espresso grinder. It's tricky to find ones that does both well.

jasonmolinari

#5: Post by jasonmolinari »

I can't recommend using the vario to switch between espresso and drip. I had a heck of a time resetting to espresso every time i moved it.

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Either is a good idea, but the preciso is better for drip. I haven't used the conicals for espresso, but they do work. It is not ideal to have 1 grinder do both. You will likely get tired of one and upgrade for espresso. If you spend less on the preciso, you will be able to upgrade more easily and KEEP THE PRECISO only for drip. I never made good drip until I got a dedicated grinder. The vario can also be kept for drip- only by swapping in the (apparently extremely good) drip-only burrs. While you can't probably stomach having two expensive grinders about now, keep this in the back of your mind for later :twisted:
LMWDP #353

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#7: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the input; it helps.

How it will play out eventually is, I'll keep the Rocky and get the Vario for espresso. I just don't like how the Rocky retains grounds within the chute, etc. It's annoying.

I think the upgrade-itis fever has subsided for now.

MountRoyal

#8: Post by MountRoyal »

One more vote for the Vario, it's quite a bit tastier in the espresso department. It's worth a try swapping from drip to espresso, I'm getting better at wasting less coffee when I re-set to espresso, the newer Varios are better at this I was told, they lock in better when you go back to espresso from drip.