Quickmill Silvano vs. Profitec Pro 300

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Stromberg

#1: Post by Stromberg »

Hi guys,

I need helping deciding which machine to get. I started my espresso journey with a SAB Alice HX machine. It was (and still is) a great machine, but my taste changed towards light roasted coffee and espresso very quickly once I got started with specialty coffee. So I exchanged the Alice for a Strietmann CT1 and an Elektra Microcasa lever machine, which allowed me to play more with temperature and pressure.

I'm very happy with both machines, but now I plan to sell the Elektra and get a PID controlled pump machine instead. First it will give me a bigger difference in taste between pump and lever vs. lever and lever (I think), and second, well, I miss having a pump machine.

I mostly drink straight espresso, with milk drinks only on the weekends for the best girlfriend of all, and very seldom for me, too :wink:

The review on HB of the silvano had me sold already on the machine, with espresso performance seemingly great and steam performance satisfactory for my needs. Also the video of the intra shot temperature stability measurement of a Silvano with a Scace device convinced me.
I had also been aware of the Pro300, but thought the better steaming ability not important for me.

Today I was at a store that has both machines in the show room, the Silvano selling for 950€ vs. 1350€ for the Pro300. The guy in the store leaned slightly towards the Pro300, mainly for the reason that it is manufactured in Germany (I live in Germany) and customer support at Profitec is (according to him) much better than at Quick Mill.
Also the interior of the Pro 300 looks "cleaner" and more "professional". It is also supposed to be very temperature stable during shots.

Now I'm sitting here agonizing over which machine to get. For me the pros and cons are:

Silvano

Pro:
- proven concept
- high temperature stability
- easily adjustable expansion valve
- brew pressure gauge
- price

Con:
- looks a bit flimsier in comparison
- bad customer support (?)

Pro 300

Pro:
- very good manufacturing quality
- high temperature stability
- "real" dual boiler
- good and reliable customer support

Con:
- price
- no brew pressure gauge

So, except for the missing brew pressure gauge I can't find a real flaw with the Pro 300, except that its steaming abilities might exceed my needs. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

mauijer

#2: Post by mauijer »

I have had the Silvano for almost 3yrs now and still think it was the best value and best choice for my needs which were similar to you at the time I bought it. The aesthetics are your preference now that you've seen them both in person but I think the Silvano is quite well built and beautiful. I live in the US so I figured the customer support thru Chris Coffee would be good; being in Germany, however, you might side with Profitec as you mentioned. The Silvano v2 and Evo do not have hot water wands if you make Americans. Evo model is new and has no lead in the boiler and includes a shot timer so I would pick that one if it were available when I purchased. Silvano does ok/good w small amounts of milk but nothing compared to a double boiler. good luck on your decision; you can't go wrong with either

tegee

#3: Post by tegee »

Take a look at the Bezzera BZ10. For roughly $1,250 you get a lot more bang for your buck IMHO.

I was in the same situation you are in trying to find a second espresso machine for my vacation. I bought the BZ10 and I ma very happy with it.

ecuew

#4: Post by ecuew »

Stromberg wrote:... and customer support at Profitec is (according to him) much better than at Quick Mill.
I find this a bit odd.

In North America, customer support (ie warranty) is provided by the business that sells you the machine, not the manufacturer. If I buy a Toyota, I'm not expected to call head office in Japan for an oil change, the dealership or a mechanic of my choice does the work.

Many parts that break/wear should be in stock by their repair department. Unless it's different in Germany, the "customer support" reason seems a bit fishy to me.

Either way they're both nice machines. I've owned a Quick Mill and thought it was very well constructed. The Profitec's reputation is the same.

Stromberg (original poster)

#5: Post by Stromberg (original poster) »

ecuew wrote:I find this a bit odd.
That struck me as odd, too. Upon my question he explained that Quick Mill is on occasion very slow to ship replacement parts. So I guess that is what he meant.

Stromberg (original poster)

#6: Post by Stromberg (original poster) »

Just wanted to say thanks for the input. I settled on the Pro 300. Can't name a specific reason, it just seems a bit more solid to me.