Quickmill Anita just died, and I'm in the market for a new espresso machine.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wy100101

#1: Post by wy100101 »

The Anita I bought back in 2005 just died rather spectacularly. I'm not sure what shorted out, but the electrical fire smell is still clearing out of the house. I'll probably look into getting it repaired, but it also seems like a chance to consider replacing it completely. It looks like the price of the Anita has gone up $600 since I bought mine, and at that point, it seems reasonable to consider a DB as well as an HX machine.

Here is my feature list in terms of importance: durability/maintainability, produces a great shot without too much guess work, and decent steaming ability.

I'm willing to learn to deal with the machine, but I wouldn't mind if it was a little bit less hand wavy than the flushing until the water stops dancing I had to do with the Anita. I was never certain if I was flushing enough or too little because I had not feedback about the water temperature. That said, I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles and what I mostly interested in is upgrades to the bones of the machine. I'm willing to forgo frills, especially if it is going to save me money, but I want well built workhorse that can produce excellent espresso for years to come.

I'm starting to do research now, but I was hoping you fine people could tell me what I should be focused on given my core requirements?

thanks,

--Matt

Advertisement
sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

What is your budget?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

First guess is that the pressurestat contacts overheated and portions thereof melted. it is not only a good time to look to move up, but also to learn something about diagnoses and repair.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

wy100101 (original poster)

#4: Post by wy100101 (original poster) »

Budget is up to is around 2K, but I won't complain if I can get something for less.

--Matt