Quickmill Alexia and Baratza Vario. Which is the weak link?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pearlmikejam

#1: Post by pearlmikejam »

I have used the following equipment for the last 4 year.

- Quickmill Alexia
- Baratza Vario

A year ago, I had a PID installed to help improve things, but it has only highlighted some limitations.

I am growing frustrated with my ability to achieve the shot profile I want. Once I tune in the grind to get the flow rate and shot time for a given blend, I cannot get the right flavor profile. Most blends are slightly sour at 200 degrees, but turn ashy at 201 (I have tried higher and lower, but this seems to be the sweet spot). I have varied the dose and even the basket size, with no real change.

I am trying to achieve a smooth shot, that has less tobacco taste, and more chocolate, with fruity notes. The typical profile from the likes of Intelligentsia (my primary espresso).

Is the limitation my grinder? If so, what is the next step up? I would consider a new grinder, but, from what I read, the next step up is in the $1k-$2k range, and I am not ready for that.

Thanks in advance.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I think the grinder is definitely your weak link. Possibly an HGone if you don't mind a hand powered grinder and want to stay under 1k.

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

You can also try different coffees from different roasters and see if anything is more forgiving on the equipment you have.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pearlmikejam (original poster)

#4: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

brianl wrote:I think the grinder is definitely your weak link. Possibly an HGone if you don't mind a hand powered grinder and want to stay under 1k.
I have an OE Lido now that I use for my Aeropress now, so I am not averse to a hand grinder.

I cannot tell much from their website. Is it difficult to master? How does it compare to electric grinders in the $1k price range?
drgary wrote:You can also try different coffees from different roasters and see if anything is more forgiving on the equipment you have.
That is what I have been doing the last 3 months or so. I have tried locally roasted, various Intelligentsia and even some Counter Culture roasts. All end being good, for the most part, but not what I expect.

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Try the Lido for espresso. Despite claims to the contrary those little burrs can make great espresso.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

TrlstanC

#6: Post by TrlstanC »

I'd definitely experiment with different coffees. Whatever impact the grinder and machine have, the coffee is going to be of much more importance. I found, when I had my little gaggia, that sometimes I just couldn't consistently get a good shot from a particular roaster even. I'm sure part of that was the limitations of the equipment and some of it was my lack of experience, but the easiest (and tastiest) fix was just to try a few coffees from a few different roasters and see which one was easier to work with.

brianl

#7: Post by brianl »

The HG one is in the Robur class of grinders based on burrs size (>68mm). I would say there isn't an equivalent grinder in that price range new.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

peacecup wrote:Try the Lido for espresso. Despite claims to the contrary those little burrs can make great espresso.
As someone who's done the comparison it can make good espresso but probably not better than the Vario and not as good as something like a Pharos, HG-One, Compak K10, etc. The LIDO 2 is not primarily an espresso grinder, although I'm quite happy with it for other brew methods.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pearlmikejam (original poster)

#9: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I have a few more roasts on order. I will see if I can dial in those. If not, I will have to look into a higher end grinder. Did anyone have a Vario and then upgrade? If so, to what? How significant was the difference?

My Vario has been a little off of late. I cleaned and recalibrated a few months ago because I was getting very ashy tasting shots. Since then, the grind has been somewhat inconsistent. Hopefully it will settle in, or my taste in shots will change :wink:

pacificmanitou

#10: Post by pacificmanitou »

I have a vario and a Pharos. I did notice a big change in consistency with it but not so much taste. There is a difference but I don't get a black and white contrast from one to the other. On a daily basis I actually use the vario over the Pharos, since it's more convenient. Pharos is dialed in for my caravel, and the two get used on weekends almost exclusively.

I also owned two mazzer super jollys, and a trespede equipped grinder, as well as an ascaso with unknown 54mm flat burrs. All were roughly equal quality, with the super jolly and vario coming out on top. Vario is not a bad grinder, and while its the first thing to look at in a weak setup, it's hardly an inherently weak link. Have you checked to make sure your burrs are ok?
LMWDP #366