Quickmill Achille 2012 or Bezzera Strega.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nonineto

#1: Post by Nonineto »

So I'm down to the punch. I have read about the bosco group and its strength and durability. Still not too hot on the plastic chrome on the strega group but I'm sure the group is great as well. . Price- strega 2500, quick mill- 2900 tax in. I'm a bit concerned about the mill being on the shelf for 3 years and the sales man told me it may have been used briefly! The mill is substantially larger all around with a larger boiler, the difference also with the pumps on each which have 2 different jobs. One fills the group and other fills the boiler. Don't think it's a big deal.
Should I be concerned with the mill sitting this long and with the salesman telling me it may have been used a few times and also is buying 3 year old equipment a potential problem. He will give me a warranty. Thanks in advance.
Btw- if someone in the toronto area has the quick mill ( 2012 model ) I would love to see it in action.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

A brand new current model Achilles is $2900 or less at CCS in Albany, N.Y. Would you get killed on import duties if you drove down & brought one back?
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
skyboltone

#3: Post by skyboltone replying to JohnB. »

It depends on who looks in the back of the wagon. The RCMP treated me like an international criminal last time I crossed the border up there, and I was headed in to spend some money.
Bean me up dude!

Nonineto (original poster)

#4: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

2900 US Is 3800 canadian. Plus taxes imports maybe. I don't have the time or a passport either- lol.

Abnuceals

#5: Post by Abnuceals »

I just checked at Espressoplanet and the open box Achille is $2625. Hard to say if it is a great deal. I paid it $3k and used it for a couple of months. Since day one, I had problems with temperature stability. Just after the Achille I had a Strega and never had a problem.
LMWDP 389

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

LOL. If it is the 2012 Achilles that I am thinking about, then I very strongly recommend that you do your homework regarding that particular machine, and also of other Achilles of that year's production.

If you want a 'Bosco'-group machine, then I would say that the Londinium might be your best buy now for a new machine - due to exchange rates.

Edit: They raised the price! Now that's ... er, found the word that I was looking for ... chutzpah :shock:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Abnuceals

#7: Post by Abnuceals »

Baldheadracing, I think I read in your mind. :wink:
LMWDP 389

Advertisement
sorrentinacoffee

#8: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

if you are still interested in that Achille- I would be asking the seller for a goodly discount. If the machine is the 2012 model- and has been used- and has been sitting around for a few years- $500 off sounds about right... Tell the buyer you can get a new Strega for that price... see what they say.

I have the same model machine- and it is really good. Very well made. I have never used a Strega so cannot compare- though I have mostly heard very good things about the Strega.

Nonineto (original poster)

#9: Post by Nonineto (original poster) »

I will definitely look into problems with that year model. And a discount as well.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing replying to Nonineto »

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - look into the history of the particular machine that you are looking at. Assuming that you are looking at the vendor that Pierre (abnuceals) mentioned, I strongly suspect that the machine is the one Pierre used to have. That vendor only brought in two machines in 2012 AFAIK, so flip a coin. :-)

I am sure that there are Achilles that work perfectly - Chris Coffee would not sell the machine otherwise - but the Internet shows that there were some early machines that perhaps didn't work perfectly - but also some early machines that did work perfectly.

Also, as an FYI, Jack (sorrentinacoffee) was the Australian importer of the Achilles.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada